New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric vs Gas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
BeerguyNC61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Electric vs Gas

So I am on the fence trying to decide to go electric or gas for my all grain system. I like the idea of no fumes to worry about going with electric but I have a few questions.....
1. For those of you out there using three heated kettles how much have you seen your electric bill go up?

2. How much longer does it take to get the wort or the HLT water up to temps? Does it take more time compared to when you use gas to get to a rolling boil for the wort?

Ok that should be a good starting point.....

Thanks in advance...

Brew-on

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
WAORGANY

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerguyNC61 View Post
So I am on the fence trying to decide to go electric or gas for my all grain system. I like the idea of no fumes to worry about going with electric but I have a few questions.....
1. For those of you out there using three heated kettles how much have you seen your electric bill go up?

2. How much longer does it take to get the wort or the HLT water up to temps? Does it take more time compared to when you use gas to get to a rolling boil for the wort?

Ok that should be a good starting point.....

Thanks in advance...

Brew-on
Just do a search on HBT for these answers this horse has been beat to death...the bottom line is electric is way cheaper, and just as fast if not faster...I am still building my build but it is the way to go IMHO, I am sure others will chime in as well, good luck, all the best.

RLTW!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The best part is that you won't likely run out of electricity in the middle of a boil!

I figure that a 5 gallon batch costs me about a third of a propane tank, or close to $7. According to Kal at http://theelectricbrewery.com/ you should expect to use about $1-2 of electricity.

Kal lists these advantages, but there are more benefits than he has listed

Quote:
What are the benefits of brewing with electricity vs. gas?

There are many benefits to brewing with electricity vs. gas:
  • Easier precise control of temperature
  • Safer for indoor brewing (no poisonous gases, no emissions)
  • Absolutely silent (the bigger gas burners required for brewing sound like jet engines)
  • Much more efficient use of energy (our 5500W heating elements produce ~20,000 BTUs of heat and will outperform an 80,000 BTU propane burner)
  • No tanks to refill
  • Cheaper to run (use $1-2 in electricity instead of approximately half a tank of propane per batch)
We don't know of one brewer who, after switching to electric, wished they were still using gas.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
BeerguyNC61
Recipes 

Thanks TrainSafe!
Have you always brewed electric or did you start out with gas? If so does the rolling boil take about the same amount of time? How about total system price? Does it run the same for a gas system?

Sorry if these have been answered somewhere else on HBT but if you can't ask a simple question here without having to search through tons of older post why bother being a member here......

Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have the existing wiring, or can afford an electrician, or a DIY electrician -- go electric.

Else stick to gas.

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
BeerguyNC61
Recipes 

I was a Construction Electrician in the Navy so I can handle wiring the outlet. But even better I have a 220 outlet that can be easily swung down to the brew room.

The electrical is the easy part. What scares me would be drilling into some brand spanking new brew pot with a drill!

S

Old 03-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Thanks TrainSafe!
Have you always brewed electric or did you start out with gas? If so does the rolling boil take about the same amount of time? How about total system price? Does it run the same for a gas system?

Sorry if these have been answered somewhere else on HBT but if you can't ask a simple question here without having to search through tons of older post why bother being a member here......
I am currently on gas. I use a turkey fryer stand, and it frustrates the heck out of me. I'm in the planning stages of my electric build. Hoping to start construction in the coming weeks.

From what I've seen, the times are roughly comparable. Hard to say precisely because there are a variety of gas burners and a selection of various wattage elements.

With respect to cost, that is the kicker. It depends on if you need to buy new pots, or are just modifying your existing pots. The build is expensive, but everyone who has undertaken it has been very satisfied.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
BeerguyNC61
Recipes 

Getting back into brewing after ten years, two moves from Vermont to Colorado and then finally here in North Carolina. In the process of those moves all the brewing gear is gone (long story). So I will be getting everything new!

Just ordered a Rebel Mill grain crusher and next will be a trip to the LHBS to get the carboys,bottles etc. Guess one piece at a time......

Thanks

Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
buffalobrewer
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
I was a Construction Electrician in the Navy so I can handle wiring the outlet. But even better I have a 220 outlet that can be easily swung down to the brew room.

The electrical is the easy part. What scares me would be drilling into some brand spanking new brew pot with a drill!

S
PM me if you'd be interested in a greenlee punch to make the element holes. You cover postage both ways.

Mike

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

Old 03-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
BeerguyNC61
Recipes 

Thanks Mike!! I have access to a Greenlee set but the offer is awesome!

I have been looking over the Electric Brewery site and it seems simple to add the element hole, its just getting over that initial thought of just spending a bunch on three Blichmann pots...... Do they seal up without any leak issues? How easy is it to clean up after brewing? I am imaging the underside of the element must be a pain to get clean but then maybe it's a newbie thing.....

Thanks again
S

Quick Reply