Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #101
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It just looked like the 3 way required a couple contacts piggy backed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #102
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
It just looked like the 3 way required a couple contacts piggy backed.
If I understand, each "stack" basicly adds another "pole"... the 3 position switches I drew are single pole.

CodeRage, is my understanding correct?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #103
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It does, but just 2 NO contacts. one for each side making it one contact deep. Looking at the specs it would make it about 1.75 deep from the back of the mounting surface.

You, you're correct Ed.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #104
Baron ken
Recipes 

Updating the shopping list to illuminated buttons/switches. Wondering if these work like I'm thinking.

Green, momentary for power on (to Relay1). Can the lamp be wired separate from the line being switched? I.e., when the button is pushed and the circuit energizes the relay, can the button's light be wired in series between the relay and the contactor to show the circuit on (since the button is momentary, if it was wired to light when the contact closes, it would just go off when released).
Hope that made sense.

Also, 3 way illuminated, assuming the configuration will be Hand-Off-Auto, can it be wired such that the light can be on when in the Hand position, off in the Off position and in the Auto position only on when the controller tells it to be on?

Or am I going to need to go with standalone lights for the various buttons/switches?

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #105
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

I'm having a heck of a time finding a 30amp, 250volt fuse and holder(s) at a decent price. It looks like I can buy a double pole din mount breaker from AD for $18.75... Any reason why this wouldn't work for my 5500watt elements?

Here is the one I'm thinking of:
AD Breaker

Thanks,

Ed

Old 01-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #106
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron ken View Post
Updating the shopping list to illuminated buttons/switches. Wondering if these work like I'm thinking.

Green, momentary for power on (to Relay1). Can the lamp be wired separate from the line being switched? I.e., when the button is pushed and the circuit energizes the relay, can the button's light be wired in series between the relay and the contactor to show the circuit on (since the button is momentary, if it was wired to light when the contact closes, it would just go off when released).
Hope that made sense.
Makes perfect sense. The lamp has it's own circuit. Just wire it parallel to the R1 coil and it will turn on when the system is energized.
Quote:
Also, 3 way illuminated, assuming the configuration will be Hand-Off-Auto, can it be wired such that the light can be on when in the Hand position, off in the Off position and in the Auto position only on when the controller tells it to be on?
Take one leg from the load side of the SSR/contactor/relay and run it to one side of the lamp then bond neutral to the other side of the lamp. So when ever the load is called to run it will turn on.
Problem with this is that when in Auto the lamp will only illuminate when the load is being called by the BCS/Brewtroller. If you just want the light to turn on when it is in either position you need to stack 2 NO contacts, one for each side, run 110 to them in parallel and then run the other side to the lamp. When the switch is in either position it will turn the lamp on.

I got the LED variety and am really happy with them.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #107
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
I'm having a heck of a time finding a 30amp, 250volt fuse and holder(s) at a decent price. It looks like I can buy a double pole din mount breaker from AD for $18.75... Any reason why this wouldn't work for my 5500watt elements?

Here is the one I'm thinking of:
AD Breaker

Thanks,

Ed
I would use breakers over fuses if cost wasn't an issue. Nothing like popping a fuse in the middle of a brew and having to order a replacement. Yes, that would work great too btw.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #108
Baron ken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
Makes perfect sense. The lamp has it's own circuit. Just wire it parallel to the R1 coil and it will turn on when the system is energized.

Take one leg from the load side of the SSR/contactor/relay and run it to one side of the lamp then bond neutral to the other side of the lamp. So when ever the load is called to run it will turn on.
Problem with this is that when in Auto the lamp will only illuminate when the load is being called by the BCS/Brewtroller. If you just want the light to turn on when it is in either position you need to stack 2 NO contacts, one for each side, run 110 to them in parallel and then run the other side to the lamp. When the switch is in either position it will turn the lamp on.

I got the LED variety and am really happy with them.
Great! Thanks.

Also, the lamp only illuminating when the BCS turns the load on is the way I'm wanting it to work.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #109
Ohio-Ed

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron ken View Post
Great! Thanks.

Also, the lamp only illuminating when the BCS turns the load on is the way I'm wanting it to work.
That most likely will happen very quickly and may shorten the life of your lamp. Although it will look cool with all those lights flashing.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #110
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
That most likely will happen very quickly and may shorten the life of your lamp. Although it will look cool with all those lights flashing.
If he uses the incandescent lamps that would be true. The LED variety aren't susceptible to high frequency switching.

Quick Reply