Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric Noob starting E-brewery. Help pls!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #21
TwoDogBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 27

That panel is not to code.. White wires should be on a neutral bar and never used for one of the phases(unless it is wrapped in black tape).

White wires should not go through breakers or switched.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
SweetSounds
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I do like the black tape on the white wire attached to the ground buss, identifying it as a hot wire

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!
Will_M Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #23
lunchbox
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This thread is going places!

I'm not an electrician, but when two people with obvious knowledge tell you to get your breaker panel/house wiring in order so that you don't burn down your house and kill all occupants as well as possibly burning down the houses of those around you.... I'd listen.

Resident Minarchist

Old 08-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #24
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
This thread is going places!

I'm not an electrician, but when two people with obvious knowledge tell you to get your breaker panel/house wiring in order so that you don't burn down your house and kill all occupants as well as possibly burning down the houses of those around you.... I'd listen.
No houses are going to burn down. Its a matter of electrical safety, but most electricians worth their salt use a multimeter to make sure there isn't juice on a line they are touching anyway.

Especially when they are at a house they haven't been at recently or someone else did some wiring.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 PM   #25
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

All of my electrical work has been performed by a licensed electrician whom I trust. He is an electrical instructor at the community college and has been studying this for decades.

Now, all I was asking was whether my electrical setup was sufficient enough to run 240/120V devices? I don't know where all the house and children burning talk came from :|

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

“Get your beer off the yeast cake on day 7 or your beer will crawl out of the fermenter and eat your youngest child”

“Your beer will be the equivalent of rhinoceros urine unless it sits on the primary yeast cake for at least 4 weeks.”

Old 08-22-2012, 01:41 AM   #26
SweetSounds
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

To get back on topic, it looks like your wire to the outlets is 12ga at best. Maybe 14.

So, if you want 240 at that location, you'll have to pull that wire out and pull new wire in.
And if you're going to pull new wire in, you might as well make it a 50 amp circuit!

Put some duct tape over the gauge - Or better yet - Replace the high pressure gauge with a plug - High pressure gauges are useless!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #27
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I guess I'll just call my electrician and explain to him that i need to run both 240V and 120V devices from the same outlet using a control panel. I'll ask him to install me a spa panel from home depot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

“Get your beer off the yeast cake on day 7 or your beer will crawl out of the fermenter and eat your youngest child”

“Your beer will be the equivalent of rhinoceros urine unless it sits on the primary yeast cake for at least 4 weeks.”

Old 08-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #28
TwoDogBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Agree SweetSounds on wire size and reccomendation

At least buy some black or red tape and put on the white wires that carry power.. Both you guys panels I have seen are very bad practice.
Good luck on selling and meeting an inspection some day if ever.

If i was an insurance investigator of an electrical incident at one of your places .. you would get a check for Zero dollars.

BTW-- I am an electrical eng, computer eng and certified electrician in NY. for 36 years.. makes me ill seeing this kind of misuse hazard.

Cheers on the brewery set up though. I can't wait to get started on one soon..

Old 08-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #29
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacaman View Post
All of my electrical work has been performed by a licensed electrician whom I trust. He is an electrical instructor at the community college and has been studying this for decades.

Now, all I was asking was whether my electrical setup was sufficient enough to run 240/120V devices? I don't know where all the house and children burning talk came from :|
Dude,
There is no way that panel was done by an electrician. I'm not one of those guys that think the color of a wire can start a fire but there are codes that electricians follow. I'm guessing this panel was done by a previous homeowner perhaps? If not, find another guy. Maybe the pics you have don't show it but I don't even see a good ground wire coming into the panel. I can see where the other guys are coming from. In my town only two people can work on the electric. The homeowner and an electrician. If you leave that as is and sell your house, the next owner may not be so knowledgeable and it could come back to bite you! I'm sure if you get a good electrician in there to do your work, he will tidy things up a bit. Just don't get the same guy that did that!
Will_M Likes This 
Old 08-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #30
lunchbox
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah58 View Post
Dude,
There is no way that panel was done by an electrician. I'm not one of those guys that think the color of a wire can start a fire but there are codes that electricians follow. I'm guessing this panel was done by a previous homeowner perhaps? If not, find another guy. Maybe the pics you have don't show it but I don't even see a good ground wire coming into the panel. I can see where the other guys are coming from. I my town only two people can work on the electric. The homeowner and an electrician. If you leave that as is and sell your house, the next owner may not be so knowledgeable and it could come back to bite you! I'm sure if you get a good electrician in there to do your work, he will tidy things up a bit. Just don't get the same guy that did that!
If he goes to sell his house, I doubt it will pass the inspection which means he'll be fixing it all anyway. Might as well do it right the first time...

Resident Minarchist

Will_M Likes This 

Quick Reply