Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric Kettle Instructions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2009, 02:39 AM   #21
McCuckerson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Awesome post! A few questions:

1.) could you have used a dryer cord, larger GFCI breaker and bigger element? or were you limited by the Simmerstat current handling ability?

2.) Would an old stove burner controller work for this? I do not leave my brewpot unattended so I could adjust the knob as required.

3.) In the schematic for the simmerstat connections the outlet connections are labeled ground, hot and neutral. In a 3-prong 220VAC configuration, they are actually ground, 110 hot and 110 hot right?

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #22
tdiowa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

1.) could you have used a dryer cord, larger GFCI breaker and bigger element? or were you limited by the Simmerstat current handling ability?

The Simmerstat is rated at 15 Amps. With my limited amount of electrical background I would say you couldn't go any higher then what I have listed.

2.) Would an old stove burner controller work for this? I do not leave my brewpot unattended so I could adjust the knob as required.

I don't have any knowledge if this would work or not. The Simmerstat is so easy to hook up and use that I don't know if you would want to hassle with an unknown quantity. That being said when I started this build I had a lot of unknowns. I didn't know if what I was trying would work. In the end it did. My suggestion to you is give it a try. Try hooking everything up using a 110 volt to test it. If it work then flip to 220 volt.

3.) In the schematic for the simmerstat connections the outlet connections are labeled ground, hot and neutral. In a 3-prong 220VAC configuration, they are actually ground, 110 hot and 110 hot right?

I believe you are correct. Again I know enough about electricity to get me killed.

Good luck with your build. I just completed my 5th Kettle for a friend I got interested in Brewing. I used the 30 qt pot and tried it out Saturday. It brought 5 gallons of water to a boil in 40 minutes.

TD

Old 11-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #23
tdiowa
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just thought I would bump this to the head of the list because of all the interest in building a Electric Kettle.

TD

Old 02-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #24
Panagiotis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a 30lt electric kettle with a 1800 Watt element (not of an immersion type as it is built in under the kettle). Since the price that the manufacturer is giving me for substituting the 1800 with a 2000 Watt element (so that i will gain only 200 watts) is practically identical, do you think it will be safe to use this separate immersion element in conjunction with the original element in order to have 1800+2000= 3800watts?? Thanks a lot.
Here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.de/PROSPER-SICHERHEI...item2303dcb23a

Old 03-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #25
DaleJ
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

This is quite intriguing.

Are there any issues with the heating element coming in direct contact with the wort?
Scorching? Excess carmelization?

Drinking:Woodchuck Cider, Schwarzbier, Dalerweisse Wheat
On deck: German Wheat

---------------------------------------------------------------------
  • I've overcome my fear of wheat; but I'm still skittish around barley.-Mr. Carlin
  • What doesn't kill you makes you stronger; however, not everyone makes it into the second category.
  • If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Quick Reply