Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Electric Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/)
-   -   Electric HLT qsuestion (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/electric-hlt-qsuestion-380351/)

Concho 01-10-2013 06:59 PM

I'm currently getting together all the equipment that I need to do all grain. I'm wanting my HLT to be electric so I can regulate the temp better. I'm going to put a water heater element in a 50qt SS pot and found this element online at grainger http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/VANGUARD-Resistored-HWD-Element-15A569?Pid=search. Will this be ok? I'm needing a 120v only. I'm wanting to use the STC-1000 for temp control. Also where is the best place to get a thermwell for the probe?

jeffmeh 01-10-2013 07:38 PM

The amperage draw on that element will exceed a normal household 20 amp 120 volt circuit. For a 20 amp circuit, you can go with 2000w, for 15 amp you can go with 1500w. Also, while a high watt density (HWD) element is fine for an HLT, if you ever wanted to use it in a mash or boil kettle you would be better off with low or ultra-low (LWD, ULWD).

Concho 01-10-2013 08:05 PM

Thanks, I'll go with the 2000w. I'm no looking to go full boil just yet, might in the future

jesserizzo 01-10-2013 08:21 PM

Also, know that the STC-1000 can handle a max of 10 amps. So for a 1500W or 2000W element, you would have to use a relay of some sort.

Concho 01-10-2013 08:29 PM

What would be the best (cheapest), found locally route for the relay? I can build or fabricate just about anything, just not very familiar with electrical. Just done basic electrical on jeeps and other vehicles, nothing really within a house other than ceiling fans.

Will a regular relay from say a light kit work, or will I need a AC version.

slakwhere 01-11-2013 04:58 PM

what you really want is a pid not that STC-1000. since you need a relay anyway i'd just go PID + SSR (solid state relay) and have the right tool for the job.

that temp controller has no brain. it's going to overshoot temps, especially when heating from tap water temps.

Concho 02-08-2013 03:16 AM

Bringing this thread back up due to progress. I'm going with a 2000 watt element and pid with ssr. What amp ssr will I need. Also anyone had the screw-in thermocoupler, can I screw it directly into the kettle and what size hole are they generally.

alien 02-08-2013 04:08 AM

A 25 Amp SSR should be fine.

Concho 02-08-2013 04:52 AM


slakwhere 02-08-2013 04:40 PM

the bigger the SSR is over the required size of the load, the less heat it will generate and the longer it will function. i'd go with a 30 or 40 amp since the price difference isn't very big.

for the thermowell, i believe auber does 1/4" and 1/2" so you'll need to get a weldless kit to match the thermocouple you're using and then drill the appropriate size hole. i use 1/2" on all my stuff so that i can have the same size couplers as my ball valves, etc in case i ever need to move things around.

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:08 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.