Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric heating element

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
nediver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Electric heating element

I want to add and electric heating element to my brew kettle for faster boils. I use propane on the stove top and I would prefer to stay inside, but don't want to go full electric. I would like to get a 120v element since I just want to plug into a countertop gfci.

Can anyone give me a commercial suggestion and also a way to plumb into my kettle?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Search for "Heatstick".

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
nediver
Recipes 

I want to add something permanent to the kettle. I have a Blichmann 10g kettle and want to add a 1500W Camco SS element to the kettle.

Like this http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51-598-water-heater-elements/water-heating-element-259440.aspx

As stated earlier I will be using my gas stove mainly and this is just to speed things up. 20 Amp breaker with nothing really drawing on it.

Thoughts? Help?

Old 02-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

If you're heating directly then you probably won't be able to mount directly to the kettle, you'll likely melt the gasket you use to seal the element or even melt the insulation on the wires. I think a heatstick is your only option if you want to continue to direct fire.

After all this if you still want to mount an element in your kettle then bargainfittings has a locknut and gasket that you can use.

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=36_38&product_id=95

You can also take a look at kal's Electric Brewery for some ideas here.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply