Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric has changed my life

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Triple9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Electric has changed my life

Brew life at least.

Story to date:

Converted my brew kettle to electric a couple weeks ago using Kal's instructions. My kettle is aluminum, so it was not easy getting the locknut to thread due to the kettle wall thickness, but after a bit of cursing it worked.

Installed a cheap direct vent range hood, learned to solder and put together a PWM controller thanks to the PWM...show us how thread.

Yesterday, my wife had to take the baby out for a couple hours and I decided it was a good time to give the kettle a go. Wow, can't believe how much of an improvement to the process electric is. Cut over a half hour off my brew day and did not get a single complaint about the smell when my wife got back. I was even able to work while brewing, in fact the last hour of the brew I was on a conference call. There seems to be a lot less micromanagement of the process with electric than gas, so I didn't end up hovering over the kettle the entire time.

Next steps are to put together a second kettle as the big bottleneck right now is dealing with the mash/sparge water in the same pot as the boil. After that, I'll convert the PWM to a PID and finally procure pumps and go full on HERMS.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Interesting... I'm doing the same thing. How thick is your kettle wall? I want to do an electric BK and HLT and am worried I won't have enough thread on the element once I go through the kettle wall.

How long are the treads on your element? What kind of element did you use? Got Pics???

Old 11-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
Jester
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good to hear!!! I am thinking of going to electric soon.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Welcome to the wonderful world of electric! Ive been full on electric (50A to be exact) for awhile and cant imagine doing it any other way now,

Old 11-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #5
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 772 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 529

I just finished the boil half of my electric system and just brewed two days in a row. I am really excited to brew again. I guess you could say it has put a little "spark" back in the hobby. Sorry for that...hope I don't see any real sparks.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 AM   #6
Triple9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver165 View Post
Interesting... I'm doing the same thing. How thick is your kettle wall? I want to do an electric BK and HLT and am worried I won't have enough thread on the element once I go through the kettle wall.

How long are the treads on your element? What kind of element did you use? Got Pics???
I think the thread length on the element is 7/8" and the kettle wall is 3/8". Add the o-ring, shim washer and curvature of the kettle and it makes things a bit tough...but not impossible. I just used a cheap 3500W element from Lowes. This is going to become the HLT when I'm done and I'll use a LD element when I build the real kettle.

I'll take some pics when I get a chance in the next day or so.

Quick Reply