The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > electric equipment start up costs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #21
MarkInOhio
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

My motto with this sort of thing: "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #22
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Personally I refuse to keep the receipts and do a total...it will just make me cry.

I've been buying Kal's system a vendore at a time (like all the Morebeer stuff, all the bliochmann etc) and those make me feel a little less sad.

Now that it's all there...I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all.

It's gonna be a fun weekend!

Old 12-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #23
EuBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm with Jay! If I had to guess I'll be into mine about 2.5 to 3K.

That's with 3 pumps, brewtroller, stainless hard plumbing with swageloks, keggles, 3 elements, and the associated wire/breakers/misc.

It makes me wanna cry too

Secondary 1: empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty

Kegged: New Belgium Ranger IPA Clone attempt #1
Bottled Southern Tier Pumking Clone

Planned: EdWort's haus pale ale
CBC Bodhi IPA

I may be naive but I make up for that with inexperience!!

Old 12-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #24
coffeediver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yes, cry into the beer I am going to make with it.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #25
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's why they make those little umbrellas...

Old 12-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #26
jfkriege
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Ok minus the hardware that needs to be bought alongside the electric brew system like kettles and pumps and such.

What kind of costs will I be looking at for the elements, controllers, wires, fuses, contactors and box. mainly I'm wondering what the working control box and elements add up to? (ballpark of course)

I am not too worried about how it looks more worried that it works and I can pass the budget committee (aka swmbo)
My brewery is in the signature (go down to post 2). I ended up spending about $350 on the control box and elements. It is a basic setup that controls 1 element and two pumps, and can be reconfigured to run 2x 120V elements as well. For a single element brewery, I think you could do $300 pretty happily. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or I will watch this thread.

Joshua

Old 12-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #27
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInJersey View Post
Depends on the details of the system...

But I'd say just for the Control Box on Kal's www.electricbrewery.com site you are estimating $500-1000 ($100 box, $400 electric components, $200 for the jacks, $100 HSink, $200 misc...yeah that's a good estimate)

Then there are the actual kettles pumps and hardware etc...I estimated around $2500-$3000 total project budget + cost of electrician for breakbox work)
I'm working on a FAQ for my site to answer questions like cost. Here's a preview of the breakdown:

Quote:
How much will it cost me to build a brewery like this?

The number one question we get asked is "how much?". Below are some rough estimates on part costs based on Fall 2010 prices:

Hot Liquor Tank: $758 ($400 Blichmann boilermaker kettle, $88 heating, $270 plumbing)
Mash/Lauter Tun: $567 ($495 Blichmann boilermaker kettle + false bottom, $72 plumbing)
Boil Kettle: $566 ($400 Blichmann boilermaker kettle, $88 heating, $67 HopStopper, $11 plumbing)
Hoses: $302
Brew Stand: $120
Pumps: $915 ($790 pumps, $125 plumbing)
Wort Chiller: $352 ($189 counterflow chiller, $163 plumbing)
Temperature Probes: $112
Control Panel: $891 - 1010
Ventilation system: $273 - 978 ($45-750 hood, $150 fan, $78 electrical and plumbing)
Grain Mill: $130
Total cost: $ 4986 - 5810 USD

Note included: Commercial stainless steel sink and wall-mount pre-rinse arm and faucet ($600), installation of a standard 240V/30A dryer outlet in the brewery (price varies), shipping, taxes/duties.

Kal

Old 12-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #28
jasonsbeer
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Total cost: $ 4986 - 5810 USD
I hope non-brewers don't stumble upon this and decide brewing is only for "rich people". Maybe a footnote would be appropriate indicating anybody can start brewing with probably $50 in parts.

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-05-2010, 04:33 AM   #29
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Here were my costs...

Post #5 on This THREAD has cost breakdown for my initial setup. Much of the cost had to do with ventilation and electrical, which I actually overdid a bit and will depend on your space.

Post #6 On THIS THREAD has a breakdown for the control box and RIMS TUBE.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 12-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #30
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsbeer View Post
I hope non-brewers don't stumble upon this and decide brewing is only for "rich people". Maybe a footnote would be appropriate indicating anybody can start brewing with probably $50 in parts.
Electric brewing will always be more expensive than gas. That much is true. You can't build an electrical brewing setup for $50. There's no way. There are many reasons to go electrical including (a) brewing indoors, (b) control (usually a PD), (c) less cost over the long term since electricity costs less than gas.

I'd say setup costs for electrical setups the way most people would want to be set up are in the $500 range once you factor in everything. You could easily spend $200 just in getting a 30A+ electrical outlet installed from your breaker panel.

The point of my site isn't to get non-brewers people to be interested in brewing or how to do it cheaply - there are a bazillion sites and books out there for that. You can brew on your stove for basically next to free. For example, see the first video here: http://brooklynbrewshop.com/instructions

For what it's worth, I know lots of people (not rich people) who spend more than $5K on a hobby. You'll easily spend more on golfing, skiing, etc over just a few years. Remember that this brewery setup cost is one time cost. I also know a lot of brewers who have spend more than that over the years because they buy cheap stuff that doesn't last or work right and they are constantly changing out stuff. Pay once, do it right. Then use it forever. IMHO, $5K to pay once for hobby that you'll do for the rest of your life is cheap!

There's still the malt/hops/yeast cost that but that's really cheap if you buy in bulk. I pay $25 for a 50lb sack of 2-row. Hops are $6-10/lb. I get together with a bunch of local brewers and do bulk oders. We spend many thousands direct from the maltsters and hop distributors and save. I figure it costs me about $100-150/year to make as much beer as I and all my friends could ever drink. Brewing (even with a high-end setup) is one of the cheapest hobbies I know about!

Kal
People Like This 

Quick Reply