Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > electric equipment start up costs

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInJersey View Post
Damn I must have got rooked on some of my stuff...hell shipping was more expensive than $20 for all my switches and stuff
Well, what I saved in money, I paid for in manual labor. I bought all of my small electronics from mouser.com, and shipping was only about $8 for the box of breakers, switches, and some other misc things. There are only a a few switches on the box, and they were about $1 each. They were small rectangles (0.5" x .075"). Cutting those little fvcking rectangular holes in the steel enclosure I got was a royal PITA. If I had bought round switches, I would have paid more for the switches, but could have quickly and easily drilled a hole in the panel to install them.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
Sparky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Muir Beach, California
Posts: 289
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Kal said his estimate was $5K for everything: stands, electronics, kettles, the hood, and (including) the kitchen sink! I think that is a super hot screaming deal and peanuts for what you get.

FYI, we run an electrical contracting company and bill $110/hr in labor. Give us a call and we'll be happy to wire your system

__________________
Sparky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
we run an electrical contracting company and bill $110/hr in labor. Give us a call and we'll be happy to wire your system
That's cool. Where are you located, anyway?
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #14
Sparky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Muir Beach, California
Posts: 289
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
That's cool. Where are you located, anyway?
San Francisco Bay Area. We do electrical and solar (photovoltaic) work.
synapseelectric.com

For those folks out there running their own business, these projects are a great write-off for the material!

Walker, lover your avi
__________________
Sparky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #15
coffeediver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
coffeediver's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kiowa, CO
Posts: 65
Default

I went the lazy way. I just went down Kal's list and ordered everything through his links. All except for one converted yet still unused keggle that I had gotten from Sabco about 4 years ago. I am using that as my HLT. I also just bought a 60" sink base with 72" counter top from Loews. Although I did try to find some things cheaper, sometimes not worth the hassle. Now I just have to keep the credit card statement away from SWMBO. Also I let her buy a new horse on my birthday a month ago to help sweeten the deal.

Barry

__________________
coffeediver is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #16
Scut_Monkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,680
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Default

I agree, Kal's setup is quite elaborate. All that bling costs money but it sure looks perdy!

__________________
Scut_Monkey is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #17
Sparky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Muir Beach, California
Posts: 289
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeediver View Post
I went the lazy way. Now I just have to keep the credit card statement away from SWMBO.
Barry
Barry, sounds like you went the wise-way! Since we're talkin' moolah, approx. what did your purchases total?
Sparky

PS - Oh ya, just brew your SWMBO her favorite batch and that should take care of those credit card bills. Works for me
__________________
Sparky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 01:17 AM   #18
jasonsbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 413
Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Well, what I saved in money, I paid for in manual labor. I bought all of my small electronics from mouser.com, and shipping was only about $8 for the box of breakers, switches, and some other misc things. There are only a a few switches on the box, and they were about $1 each. They were small rectangles (0.5" x .075"). Cutting those little fvcking rectangular holes in the steel enclosure I got was a royal PITA. If I had bought round switches, I would have paid more for the switches, but could have quickly and easily drilled a hole in the panel to install them.
I'm currently piecing together a RIMS setup and thought about ordering some rocker switches because they look neater than toggle switches. Your post confirms my final decision to stick with "round things" is correct. The only rectangles I should have to cut will be for 2 PIDS.
__________________

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

jasonsbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #19
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 11,235
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsbeer View Post
I'm currently piecing together a RIMS setup and thought about ordering some rocker switches because they look neater than toggle switches. Your post confirms my final decision to stick with "round things" is correct. The only rectangles I should have to cut will be for 2 PIDS.
it is possible to find illuminated rocker switches that fit through round holes in a panel. i could have bought those on mouser.com, but i was trying to keep costs as low as possible and went for the rectangular rockers. big mistake.
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.
Walker is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2010, 02:17 AM   #20
coffeediver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
coffeediver's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kiowa, CO
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Barry, sounds like you went the wise-way! Since we're talkin' moolah, approx. what did your purchases total?
Sparky

PS - Oh ya, just brew your SWMBO her favorite batch and that should take care of those credit card bills. Works for me
I have yet to add up the total but I did go through Kal's list one day and counted up everything but one Blichmann kettle and the brew stand and a few odds and ends that I already had I came up with about $3900+.

And my SWMBO does not even like beer.

Barry
__________________
coffeediver is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric Question Ohio-Ed Electric Brewing 368 04-12-2014 03:25 PM
I want to make an electric MLT... Beavdowg Electric Brewing 9 09-14-2011 10:25 PM
3E Brewery going ELECTRIC!!! EuBrew Electric Brewing 17 10-28-2010 05:12 PM
Electric Extract BrassMonkey Electric Brewing 7 10-27-2010 01:19 AM
electric brewery help RedBarnBrewing Electric Brewing 5 10-23-2010 02:28 AM