Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > electric equipment start up costs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInJersey View Post
Damn I must have got rooked on some of my stuff...hell shipping was more expensive than $20 for all my switches and stuff
Well, what I saved in money, I paid for in manual labor. I bought all of my small electronics from mouser.com, and shipping was only about $8 for the box of breakers, switches, and some other misc things. There are only a a few switches on the box, and they were about $1 each. They were small rectangles (0.5" x .075"). Cutting those little fvcking rectangular holes in the steel enclosure I got was a royal PITA. If I had bought round switches, I would have paid more for the switches, but could have quickly and easily drilled a hole in the panel to install them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
Sparky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Kal said his estimate was $5K for everything: stands, electronics, kettles, the hood, and (including) the kitchen sink! I think that is a super hot screaming deal and peanuts for what you get.

FYI, we run an electrical contracting company and bill $110/hr in labor. Give us a call and we'll be happy to wire your system

Old 12-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #13
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
we run an electrical contracting company and bill $110/hr in labor. Give us a call and we'll be happy to wire your system
That's cool. Where are you located, anyway?

Old 12-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #14
Sparky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
That's cool. Where are you located, anyway?
San Francisco Bay Area. We do electrical and solar (photovoltaic) work.
synapseelectric.com

For those folks out there running their own business, these projects are a great write-off for the material!

Walker, lover your avi

Old 12-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #15
coffeediver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I went the lazy way. I just went down Kal's list and ordered everything through his links. All except for one converted yet still unused keggle that I had gotten from Sabco about 4 years ago. I am using that as my HLT. I also just bought a 60" sink base with 72" counter top from Loews. Although I did try to find some things cheaper, sometimes not worth the hassle. Now I just have to keep the credit card statement away from SWMBO. Also I let her buy a new horse on my birthday a month ago to help sweeten the deal.

Barry

Old 12-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #16
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I agree, Kal's setup is quite elaborate. All that bling costs money but it sure looks perdy!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #17
Sparky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeediver View Post
I went the lazy way. Now I just have to keep the credit card statement away from SWMBO.
Barry
Barry, sounds like you went the wise-way! Since we're talkin' moolah, approx. what did your purchases total?
Sparky

PS - Oh ya, just brew your SWMBO her favorite batch and that should take care of those credit card bills. Works for me

Old 12-02-2010, 01:17 AM   #18
jasonsbeer
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Well, what I saved in money, I paid for in manual labor. I bought all of my small electronics from mouser.com, and shipping was only about $8 for the box of breakers, switches, and some other misc things. There are only a a few switches on the box, and they were about $1 each. They were small rectangles (0.5" x .075"). Cutting those little fvcking rectangular holes in the steel enclosure I got was a royal PITA. If I had bought round switches, I would have paid more for the switches, but could have quickly and easily drilled a hole in the panel to install them.
I'm currently piecing together a RIMS setup and thought about ordering some rocker switches because they look neater than toggle switches. Your post confirms my final decision to stick with "round things" is correct. The only rectangles I should have to cut will be for 2 PIDS.

There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #19
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsbeer View Post
I'm currently piecing together a RIMS setup and thought about ordering some rocker switches because they look neater than toggle switches. Your post confirms my final decision to stick with "round things" is correct. The only rectangles I should have to cut will be for 2 PIDS.
it is possible to find illuminated rocker switches that fit through round holes in a panel. i could have bought those on mouser.com, but i was trying to keep costs as low as possible and went for the rectangular rockers. big mistake.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:17 AM   #20
coffeediver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Barry, sounds like you went the wise-way! Since we're talkin' moolah, approx. what did your purchases total?
Sparky

PS - Oh ya, just brew your SWMBO her favorite batch and that should take care of those credit card bills. Works for me
I have yet to add up the total but I did go through Kal's list one day and counted up everything but one Blichmann kettle and the brew stand and a few odds and ends that I already had I came up with about $3900+.

And my SWMBO does not even like beer.

Barry

Quick Reply