The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > electric equipment start up costs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
wacko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default electric equipment start up costs

Ok minus the hardware that needs to be bought alongside the electric brew system like kettles and pumps and such.

What kind of costs will I be looking at for the elements, controllers, wires, fuses, contactors and box. mainly I'm wondering what the working control box and elements add up to? (ballpark of course)

I am not too worried about how it looks more worried that it works and I can pass the budget committee (aka swmbo)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
kklowell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Or... sneak it all past SWMBO? That's the only thing that seems to work for me. Most of the time anyway.
I wish I had more to offer you in answer to your question, but I too am just starting to accumulate parts for a build and have no idea what it will end up costing (and in some ways I don't want to know).

Old 12-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #3
WAORGANY
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Ok minus the hardware that needs to be bought alongside the electric brew system like kettles and pumps and such.

What kind of costs will I be looking at for the elements, controllers, wires, fuses, contactors and box. mainly I'm wondering what the working control box and elements add up to? (ballpark of course)

I am not too worried about how it looks more worried that it works and I can pass the budget committee (aka swmbo)
I am not sure we want to know the answer!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklowell View Post
Or... sneak it all past SWMBO? That's the only thing that seems to work for me. Most of the time anyway.
I wish I had more to offer you in answer to your question, but I too am just starting to accumulate parts for a build and have no idea what it will end up costing (and in some ways I don't want to know).
Yeah I am in the same ball park...know I am going to do it, know it will cost some $$$, not sure if I want to know what it will cost overall...kind of like my keggarator... when you add it all up, you like wow, I could buy alot of beer for that $$$. Good luck, I will be watching this for others comments on overall costs! Thanks all the best.

RLTW!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
kklowell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So far...steel for stand..$80, pump (from eBay a couple years ago <$20, keg (couple of years ago too, I think ~$35, cooler I had already, spa disconnect $50, 4-wire dryer outlet $20ish, fifty feet of 10-3 wire-$30, ticket for expired inspection sticker I got while picking up the 10-3 from a craigslister-$50.
I think I'm going to buy the fittings to convert the cooler to a MT today.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Depends on the details of the system...

But I'd say just for the Control Box on Kal's www.electricbrewery.com site you are estimating $500-1000 ($100 box, $400 electric components, $200 for the jacks, $100 HSink, $200 misc...yeah that's a good estimate)

Then there are the actual kettles pumps and hardware etc...I estimated around $2500-$3000 total project budget + cost of electrician for breakbox work)

Old 12-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInJersey View Post
Depends on the details of the system...

But I'd say just for the Control Box on Kal's www.electricbrewery.com site you are estimating $500-1000 ($100 box, $400 electric components, $200 for the jacks, $100 HSink, $200 misc...yeah that's a good estimate)

Then there are the actual kettles pumps and hardware etc...I estimated around $2500-$3000 total project budget + cost of electrician for breakbox work)
Kal's system not a good stick by which to measure the cost of an electric system.

It's like a Ferrari. I have a Honda.

It's a simple electric HERMS system capable of doing 10 gallon batches, using a single electric element. I did not keep every single receipt for every single thing, but the total cost was less than $500.

This included
- little giant pump
- stainless fittings and welding work on a keggle
- heater element
- control box and everything in it (PID + SSR + heatsink + outlets + power cables and distribution + switches + lights + etc + etc)
- hoses
- hard copper pipe for some of the plumbing (cause it was cheaper than the freaking silicon hose)
- ball valves
- 50A gfi breaker + an electrician to install it and an outlet in the garage

I did already have some things that became used in the system, like the keggles, a table to sit everything on, and a copper coil (my old chiller, convered to HERMS coil).

Old 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #7
kklowell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have to agree with Walker on this one..Kal's system is the ultimate. It's what you can do and can spend if you have a very large budget. On my budget (I drive a 95 Lumina I got for free) the goal is to make a decent system that makes good beer for the absolute minimum expenditure.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's all going to come down to what you want...or if budget is a concern, what your minimums are

Then you can build a cost from there...

This reminds me of a friend who used to give Auto-Body estimates of $50,000 to anyone who asked "How much would ____ cost?"
His reason..."if I don't see it I can't be certain, but chances are $50k will cover it"

Old 12-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Off the top of my head, just for the power work in the house and up to the control box (everything includes shipping):

$35 - steel enclosure
$30 - PID
$15 - 40A SSR w/ heatsink
$21 - Pt100 RTD in thermowell (temp probe)
$10 - panel mount quick disconnect for temp probe
$9 - 40A 2-pole contactor
$40 - primary power cable from wall
$35 - 50A GFI breaker
$100 - electrician to install breaker and outlet
$11 - outlets on control box for kettle and pump and outlet on the wall
$25 - power cable from panel to kettle element
$15 - heater element
$20 - stainless fittings for element + 2 couplings for e-kettle
$45 - welding work on kettle
$20 - switches, lights, little breakers/fuses, DIY pulse width modulator, power distribution inside box
$10 - misc wires and spade connectors for wiring work

That comes to a little less than $450, so I guess I am closer to $600 for the whole system when you add the pump and copper plumbing that I did.

Note, I went overboard on a few things (like that primary input power cable), but I also got great deals on a few things (like the enclosure and GFI breaker), so it all works out.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Damn I must have got rooked on some of my stuff...hell shipping was more expensive than $20 for all my switches and stuff

Ah well...I'll just overcharge someone on an install or something

Quick Reply