Electric Direct Fired MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
I recently completed my EHERMs build and I "like" it. What's bothering me is the offset between the HLT and the MLT. I know its not a big deal, but it bothers me. I have no intention of building a different rig right now and I also do not want a RIMS (I have my reasons...)

Here is my idea: Instead of using the HLT to control the temp of MLT, I will retrofit a 240v 8" electric stove element beneath the MLT (SS pot) mounted to the brew rig. Strike water will be heated in the HLT, then moved to the MLT. Grains doughed in, and the 8" electric stove burner takes over the "control portion" of the mash. I do not plan to do any step mashing. Mash outs are infusion or decoction only.

Thoughts?

not sure you will have enough wattage... I thought about doing something similar in my grant and needed too much go maintain temperatures

The above would be my concern, you could put a nice high FB in and put some immersion elements in the bottom of your MLT, below the FB. Of course recirculating to keep the temperature from fluctuating too much.

Brewed today and over shot by 6 degrees f. I am seriously thinking about doing this....... anyone?

Direct fired mashes (a version of RIMS) are quite common. The "R" part - recirculation - is critical to keep temp consistent through the mash though. You also must give careful consideration to where you pick up your temp reading for the PID control. Typically you want this as close as possible to the heating source - perhaps at the pump input - to minimize temp overshoot.

Back