*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric burners - Any builders out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #541
jbsengineer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow, looks awesome! The panel looks similar to Kals which I am aiming for. Excellent job thus far. Can't wait to see the whole setup in action.

What are you using for a HLT and Mash Tun?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #542
WAORGANY
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Will get some more shots in a few weeks-month when we wrap up our stand and get the armature all set up. I think it will be a little easier to get a good shot of it once it is in its final position.

Thanks for all the help guys. No way I could have come this far alone.
Looks great Cidah I should have you come wire mine..I can pay you 4.5 lbs of barley!

RLTW!

Old 03-02-2012, 02:53 AM   #543
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by iijakii View Post
Excellent. Great wiring!
Thanks!! There is a lot of wire in that beast! I everything has a dedicated line in and out. The only exception being that I daisy chained the hot and neutrals on the right side PIDs. I will also daisy chain the alarms on both of those, and might put in an on - off - on switch so I can set the alarm for either the HLT or probe for exiting wort from the eherms. But I am still recovering a bit until the eherms portion will fully take off (buying the coil and other fittings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsengineer View Post
Wow, looks awesome! The panel looks similar to Kals which I am aiming for. Excellent job thus far. Can't wait to see the whole setup in action.

What are you using for a HLT and Mash Tun?
Yeah the key difference between this one and Kals would be enclosure size (superficial) and guts. I think Kal offers a build with twice the amperage/service for a single element but doesn't have a build with two sides functioning at once yet (I think). Definitely couldn't have made it this far without Kal's help and ingenuity though. Mine is a hybrid between Kals design and the guts from my first build.

Most important is that it can run 60 amps, 30 amps per side, simultaneously. This was part of my design from the start because I found my buddy and I doing double and triple 11g batch brew days to play a little catch up if we weren't brewing for a while. Having another element really helps out for heating strike and sparge water in between while the first brew is boiling.

I have a 15G HLT (megapot) and a 25G BK (megapot) and then the blichman MT in 20G size

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAORGANY View Post
Looks great Cidah I should have you come wire mine..I can pay you 4.5 lbs of barley!
haha too funny. I actually really enjoyed this project. I love wiring the stuff up.

I couldn't help but put in parts that are my own spin on Kal's build, but as I told him. Simply never would have been at this level without his ingenuity.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 AM   #544
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

just noticed you can't see the double sided nature of my build in the other pictures so i will attach this one. Each side is fully redundant with the right side having all the hardware for a full eherms. That is the next direction I am moving to. Mechanical stirrer, etc. (that is what the lower red switch on my panel will likely be for.)

img_5402.jpg  

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #545
yjfun
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nicely done. You should be proud of what you've built here. It will give a lot of information to those that want to follow in your footsteps.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #546
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjfun View Post
Nicely done. You should be proud of what you've built here. It will give a lot of information to those that want to follow in your footsteps.
Thanks yjfun - appreciate it!!

Without the help of people like you on this forum I never would have learned what I have, or been able to conceptualize and design something like this in the relatively short time it took me to build it (about 3 weeks of passive building to get it done). The hard work is definitely done on the front end before you even touch your tools.

It not only helps me step up my brewing game, but really taught me a lot about electricity in general.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #547
WAORGANY
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Cidah hope all is well getting closer to using that barley got a lot done today. Check out my thread.

RLTW!

Old 03-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #548
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I am wiring a motor to use as a stir paddle for my HLT. It came with two 440V capacitors and I am trying to decide if they are needed and if so how to wire them in.

I have two questions:
1. Should I use the capacitors? (I assume I should use only one even thought they supplied 2, as per the wiring diagram)
2. If yes, how do I wire them in?

Here is the motor

I am unsure if the capacitor is needed for my application. I was talking to a couple electricians and they thought it might not be required and said I would be ok leaving the capacitors out.

That said I see at least one capacitor represented in the wiring diagram (not sure why they gave me two).

I have tested the motor wiring a hot to the red, neutral to the white and ground to green. It runs. But I am not sure if I am under feeding and potentially damaging the motor.

Thanks a ton for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg  

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #549
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I read that diagram as requiring a capacitor after the plug (and after a switch if you were planning on putting one inline down from the plug).

So this is what I was thinking. If I wanted to make the motor turn clockwise I would simple use the blue wire.

motor.jpg  

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 03-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #550
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

That's a motor run/start cap. The cap is there to help give the motor the initial charge it needs to start turning. Also, it looks like it stays in circuit during the run (some motors have a switch that will shut off that portion of the circuit once the motor is turning).

You need the blue wire either way, if you want to run clockwise you'd apply power to the blue wire and attach to one head of the cap. Then attach the red wire to the other cap connector.

And yes, this should be way after any switches that you have for the motor. The cap for my HLT stir is placed immediately next to the stir motor itself and I just have the 3 wire extension cord running to the stir motor/cap assembly as it sits on my HLT.

Quick Reply