Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric burners - Any builders out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #511
WAORGANY
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
I measured all the stuff out, then checked clearances with measure, then with actual parts in place and looks like I will have plenty of space. The space will require me to keep things neatly wired, but that is part of the beauty of the electrical rigs. Nice neat and secured wiring! If I went with the larger box I think it would have been too much space. I like the current layout I have because it isn't over crowded, but uses up the space on the panel.

Can't wait to settle up the painting and then to get the hardware in place for wiring. Still waiting on my switches from china though.... suckers. now they are past due and it would really suck to have them refund me with no switches in hand. Hopefully they come in this week right after I get the painting done.

the cool part about the receptacles is that with the current set up I will have the ability to have 3 120 outlets. 2 are spoken for with pumps with one unclaimed. This will either be for a third pump down the road, a ventilation hood fan or a mechanical stirrer for the HLT when I complete my eherms.
I will have to come down for a brew day when your all up and running!!! Will be interesting to see and I can always bring down 4.5 lbs of grain to add to the batch!! LOL

RLTW!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #512
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAORGANY View Post
I will have to come down for a brew day when your all up and running!!! Will be interesting to see and I can always bring down 4.5 lbs of grain to add to the batch!! LOL
ha - you said it! I simply can't wait to get this off and running. I am taking deep breathes to keep my patience on the project so:
(a) I don't drive my wife crazy hanging out in in the wood shop (cellar)
(b) I don't rush a step and compromise all the hard work so far

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #513
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Polished up my wire diagram last night and now I am feeling pretty good.

1. Panel painted.
2. Some receptacles installed.
3. Wiring diagram finalized

All that is left is for me to paint / attach the swing arm hardware to the back of the control box. Once I do that I will be able to wire this bad boy up!

.... of course I am still waiting on my last PID as well as a bunch of switches from china... Hope I get them before the week closes up.

Will post some pics of the progress when i can!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #514
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

OK so some new picks!

First we have some paint shots and then some partially filled in slots for the panel. Now it is really taking off. If I have my way I will be able to wrap up the wiring this weekend!!

Other pictures include my swing arm. I pulled down a satelite dish arm from outside my house and cleaned it up and painted the mount. You can see the angle of display will be adjustable. Since I needed to mount that before wiring (once back plate is in hard to access) I added that now.

Before I start wiring I need to solder my probes and put in the last of the receptacles.

x.jpg   x1.jpg   y.jpg   z1.jpg   z2a.jpg  

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #515
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The control arm mount in place and a sneak peak at the panel with some of the lights and switches filled in.

z2b.jpg   z2c.jpg  

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #516
jbsengineer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Seeing how close you are to finishing helps motivate me!

What did you paint the panel with? Came out great!!

Old 02-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #517
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsengineer View Post
Seeing how close you are to finishing helps motivate me!

What did you paint the panel with? Came out great!!
I am glad I am motivating you!

First let me say I hate painting, it usually is the part where I screw up hours of hard work. My wife looked at the paint enclosure perplexed, paused and said, "It looks professional". Haha - not sure I would go that far but I really thought it turned out pretty well all things considered.

I went with rustoleum's grey hammered finish (aerosol). If they would have had a burnt orange or red I might have went that route, but I actually like the grey too (didn't have the red in the HD where I picked it up). It says you can apply direct with no primer but I lightly sanded and primed anyhow. The black was too dark for me. I really wanted to go with the silver color, but I compromised for the grey based on opinions from my wife and buddy. We plan to paint the whole steel stand with this color as well as the control arm so it looks uniform.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #518
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Inline Splice:

I have read that inline splicing/soldering of a wire is not allowed in household wiring according to code (on electrical forums so I am not sure of the code myself). Is there a "best" way to do this? I am going to be adding about 20 feet of 10-4 wire to 8 or so feet of 10-4 dryer cord. I would like to use the best low profile way so it looks good and is functional. After reading it wasn't to code I thought maybe there was a better way to do it.

I know this wouldn't be house wiring anyhow, it would be extension cord wiring. But this will have a lot of amperage to it so I wanted to go with the best way possible. Any of you wire benders out there have suggestions?

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #519
yjfun
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can't use regular wire nuts and do an open splice in a wall or ceiling but it is perfectly fine to run both ends of wires into a junction box and splice with wire nuts in there. Another option is to buy a splicing kit from an electrical supplier. Tyco makes one that has 4 set screw style butt splices in a preformed plastic housing that you then cover with heat shrink. The cheapest way is to use individual mechanical splices (set screw or crimp style) and heat shrink each one separately and then heat shrink the whole group together.

The idea is to make an unbroken length of wire with no exposed splices that can work loose and start a fire. I have used all of these methods and they all work very well.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #520
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

For this specific application will be an extension cord format (bulk wire at Home depot) with a rubber outdoor rated casing (so I prefer not to use a junction box). I am taking one of these and adding 20 feet of the home depot wire plus the leviton connector to a flange panel mount.

My concern is that the joining is sound even with some movement of the cord. i.e. I don't want the connection breaking or getting damaged if I pick up, move step on the cord, etc (within reason of course).

Was thinking of either butt splice crimps (but they are bulky) or shrink solder connections and then a shrink tub casing over all connections that.

yjfun - you missed the member drive. You could see the pictures of my progress!!

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply