Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric burners - Any builders out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #491
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

To get the 120v line into the panel I was thinking that I would use one of these from an old computer:

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 10:29 PM   #492
AlteredEgo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
My system after it was built passed a certified electrician's inspection and has been in safe use for almost a full year. Where is your build?
I'm relieved to hear this. I'm pleased that you have a sense of humor. My all-electric build is working fine, thank you. An electrician friend certified my set-up before I plugged it in.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #493
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredEgo View Post
I'm relieved to hear this. I'm pleased that you have a sense of humor. My all-electric build is working fine, thank you. An electrician friend certified my set-up before I plugged it in.
Not sure why you felt you had to take a jab at me. But I really don't care because I would rather ask a bunch of "dumb" questions to fully understand what I am doing before I pretend I understand and hurt myself or others.

To me it is pretty remarkable that I have learned as much as I have and was able to complete the first, and soon to be second major build for this control panel. Coming from a guy who about a year ago was nervous changing wall socket.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #494
yjfun
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you haven't already purchased your contactors then you could buy 240 volt coil units and just run power from the line in side of the contactor through your switch and activate the coil that way. Or you could bring in a neutral wire with your 240 volt main wiring and use 120 volts to activate the contactor if you already have 120 volt coil units.

It's always good to limit the number of power lines that are feeding into the enclosure because if there are more than a couple there is a chance that you will miss turning one of them off when you go to work inside.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #495
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjfun View Post
If you haven't already purchased your contactors then you could buy 240 volt coil units and just run power from the line in side of the contactor through your switch and activate the coil that way. Or you could bring in a neutral wire with your 240 volt main wiring and use 120 volts to activate the contactor if you already have 120 volt coil units.

It's always good to limit the number of power lines that are feeding into the enclosure because if there are more than a couple there is a chance that you will miss turning one of them off when you go to work inside.
You touched on my main concern - possible design flaw. While I believe that the way I presented the wiring will work, I dislike having 3 feeds... hmm..

I already have the contractors. Perhaps I could leave one hot always on the panel? and only use one side of the contactor for the second phase.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #496
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Or you could bring in a neutral wire with your 240 volt main wiring and use 120 volts to activate the contactor if you already have 120 volt coil units.

I think I read this wrong. So are you saying that I could take the neutral from the main feed to power the contactor at the main? Where would I route the neutral side of the the contactor?

The unit I have is a 2 pole x 120v contactor (This same P/N) I was trying to use one contactor for each side of my panel

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #497
yjfun
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok so I was trying to read back through this thread and catch up on what you finally decided to do. Can you give me a quick refresher on how you decided to feed your garage with power and what you were feeding your panel with. A PM is fine if you want. And just for your knowledge your brother in law is one of my brothers. IBEW 191

Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #498
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Ok so I was trying to read back through this thread and catch up on what you finally decided to do. Can you give me a quick refresher on how you decided to feed your garage with power and what you were feeding your panel with. A PM is fine if you want. And just for your knowledge your brother in law is one of my brothers. IBEW 191
Very cool and thanks - PM on the way. He is a good egg and was shocked* when I showed him "what I had been up to".

*not literally shocked haha, pun intended

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #499
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

OK as an update, I wanted to post the following wiring for my predicament as listed above. In order to control the main power feed at the contactors for each side this will be the following wiring format. I will replicate this for each side of the build.

contactor-main-switch.jpg  

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #500
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Did a mini mock up of the control panel on a 1/4 inch piece of wood cut to scale of my box. I think this will be what I am going with!

I also mocked up some cutout paper to plan where I am putting my power/probe receptacles

Really glad I did this so now I have a template and am sure the spacing is correct for usability.

(the lady hiding behind the panel)

img_5306.jpg   img_5307.jpg  

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Quick Reply