Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric burners - Any builders out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 17

For this application - is there a PID you recc? Looks like a lot of people like the K type probe.

Now that I am seeing all this though - it looks like the PID with temp probe would be best for the mash tun and a PWM might be better for the boil kettle. Does that sound right?

By the way thanks for the link

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CidahMastah View Post
Now that I am seeing all this though - it looks like the PID with temp probe would be best for the mash tun and a PWM might be better for the boil kettle. Does that sound right?
Auber has a PID that has a "manual mode" of operation. It lets it behave like a PWM for boil kettle control.

If you buy that PID, you can use a selector switch to flip whether it is in control of the HLT (normal mode) or the boil kettle (manual mode), if you don't need to use them both at the same time.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Most people prefer to use the RTD thermal sensors but the PIDs can use just about any type.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Auber has a PID that has a "manual mode" of operation. It lets it behave like a PWM for boil kettle control.

If you buy that PID, you can use a selector switch to flip whether it is in control of the HLT (normal mode) or the boil kettle (manual mode), if you don't need to use them both at the same time.
Hey Walker - which PID is this one? This sounds like the way to go. So you are saying that I could set it up to monitor/maintain the mashtun temp (PID) and then flip a switch and it would serve as a PWM for the boil kettle?

I am assuming that if I wanted to get creative I could figure out how to wire up the HLT, Mashtun and kettle. Then I could use the PID to maintain the mash temp. Switch it over to the HLT to heat my sparge water in the (PID). Then after sparging I could flip it back to use it on the boil (PWM).

Does this sound reasonable?

I wouldn't be crying if I had to propane fire the HLT, as long as the mashtun and boil could use electric.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Hey Walker - which PID is this one? This sounds like the way to go. So you are saying that I could set it up to monitor/maintain the mashtun temp (PID) and then flip a switch and it would serve as a PWM for the boil kettle?
Basically, yes. You would have it in "PID mode" controlling the HLT at first. When you were ready to switch to controlling your kettle, you could switch the PID into "Manual mode" and flip a switch so that the power is directed towards the boil kettle instead of the MLT.

Quote:
I am assuming that if I wanted to get creative I could figure out how to wire up the HLT, Mashtun and kettle. Then I could use the PID to maintain the mash temp. Switch it over to the HLT to heat my sparge water in the (PID). Then after sparging I could flip it back to use it on the boil (PWM).

Does this sound reasonable?
What kind of system are you building here? HERMS or RIMS?

If you are doing HERMS, then your HLT will already have the sparge water heated and ready to roll because that is what you were temp controlling during the HERMS mash.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #16
Walker

Recipes 

Quote:
Hey Walker - which PID is this one?
Whoops.. forgot to answer:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_ id=3&zenid=e5a861160b7555d1c21e18bad826cca5

Old 02-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #17
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
What kind of system are you building here? HERMS or RIMS?
Well originally this all started as just looking for a way to cheaply boil my wort via electric. It seems like, with all the nifty gadgets, it my grow into a much more automated set up. If you are buying the PID you might as well think about the longterm set up, and using it for all aspects of the process. The idea of monitoring the mash is especially appealing.

I remember looking at RIMS and thinking I like that better. But now I think I need to examine my scope, and keep the design in mind so my buddy (he is a welder) and I can build the proper stand. Do you prefer Herms over RIMS?

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #18
Walker

Recipes 

I went with a HERMS because it's possible to go 100% electric with only a single heater element and a single PID. Plus, I don't have a dedicated heating device like the RIMS tube. I converted my old copper IC into the HERMS coil, and I can still use it for chilling the wort after the boil.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #19
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Cool, I like the idea of your set up. no frills on the hardware but functional. I have to check out a few picks and diagrams of the herms build, and determine what power capacity I have to push into my garage....

Crap I just realized that my garage breaker has a double pole 15 amp and a single pole 20 amp. I need to get an electrician in here to tell me how much power I have left on my main box. Otherwise it looks like might be running a little thin.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #20
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

take a look in your main panel, you should see a breaker for the garage sub-panel in there. My garage sub-panel was driven by a 40A double pole (240V) breaker. It was pretty easy to then install a 240V breaker in my garage sub-panel and install a dryer plug a few feet below the panel.

Quick Reply