Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric brewing without a Control Panel??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
staab016
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Electric brewing without a Control Panel??

I'm very new to brewing having only 4 extract batches and 1 partial mash batch under my belt. I’ve been admiring Kal’s brewery and others for a while now, and am interested in creating my own once I get some brewing, electrical knowledge, and money under my belt.

I would like to keep extract brewing while I’m saving up for the mash tun, HLT, Control Panel, pumps, chillers, ventilation, etc... Is there a SAFE way to control the temperature for steeping grains and partial mashes without making the splurge for the Control Panel (which I plan to do eventually, just can’t right away)? I imagine I can plug the element in and it would get me to a boil pretty quick, but I’d like to have the ability to keep it at certain temps without having to convince my fiancé that I need a $1500 Control Panel…

I’m sorry if this has been answered (I searched, I swear!), or is a dumb question – I’m still learning and reading as much as I can to make sure my set up is as safe as possible…

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 498 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 2703

The short answer is "no"... or "not really".

I asked this somewhere else, and the basic answer was something to the effect of it's not a good thing to be plugging and unplugging the element... hence the relays, which do it for you.

Because of this, my electric brewery has been placed on semi-hold until I can get the basic stuff together.

Oh.. it was also recommended that you not use a circuit breaker as your on/off switch as well.

YMMV.

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The answer is you can cobble something together for a few $$. Somewhere on HBT someone posted a simple modification to a potentiometer that is available online. You need a bit of skill with a soldering iron and some odds and ends. Hopefully someone will post the link as I can't find it right now.

It's basically the same way they http://brewmation.com/Brewery.html control the boil, only without all the other stuff.

edit : this was what I was looking for http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pwm...us-how-221301/

Reason: info

Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
KuntyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/elect...5-element.html
expensive but a ready made heat sick with thermostat just plug and play

2010 total: 25 gal
2011 total: 70 gal
2012 total: 15 Gal
Michigan Corrections

Old 06-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by staab016 View Post
I’ve been admiring Kal’s brewery and others for a while now, and am interested in creating my own once I get some brewing, electrical knowledge, and money under my belt.

Is there a SAFE way to control the temperature for steeping grains and partial mashes without making the splurge for the Control Panel (which I plan to do eventually, just can’t right away)?
Yes, you need a method to control the heat output.

A PID setup is ideal (not necessarily Kal'tastic) but you can also use simple analog controllers (e.g., think 'electric stove') if you're on a budget. Search the forum for examples.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
staab016
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuntyBrew View Post
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/elect...5-element.html
expensive but a ready made heat sick with thermostat just plug and play
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
The answer is you can cobble something together for a few $$. Somewhere on HBT someone posted a simple modification to a potentiometer that is available online. You need a bit of skill with a soldering iron and some odds and ends. Hopefully someone will post the link as I can't find it right now.

It's basically the same way they http://brewmation.com/Brewery.html control the boil, only without all the other stuff.

edit : this was what I was looking for http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pwm...us-how-221301/

Thanks for all the responses.... the potentiometer looks like a pretty inexpensive option, i'll need to look into it more. I think the adjustable heat stick would be the easiest option to fend off the brewing bug while i'm learning more about electronics and saving cash, but $180 seems a bit steep for something I would put on the backshelf once the build is finished? I imagine I could find other uses for it or even sell it to a brewing friend!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
KuntyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

you could always still use it when you upgrade use for you sparge water or what not and incorporate it in your system but yes 180 is $$$

2010 total: 25 gal
2011 total: 70 gal
2012 total: 15 Gal
Michigan Corrections

Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
ryclo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just build a simple one at first. You need a GFCI, PID controller (with heat sink), 40-60 amp SSR, temperature probe, low watt density element and an enclosure... If your creative, you can get it all for around $100.00 or so...

Here is a good place to start!

http://www.lightobject.com/JLD612-Du...oller-P43.aspx

Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
Walker
I use secondaries. :p

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryclo View Post
Just build a simple one at first. You need a GFCI, PID controller (with heat sink), 40-60 amp SSR, temperature probe, low watt density element and an enclosure... If your creative, you can get it all for around $100.00 or so...

Here is a good place to start!

http://www.lightobject.com/JLD612-Du...oller-P43.aspx
If the plan is for more functionality down the road, you might be better off getting one of the auber PIDs that supports manual mode instead. They are only $10 or so more expensive that that TET612 PID from lightobject. Either the auber or the one above will let you control a temp, but the auber also offers you the ability to control the strength of a boil.

FYI: There is nothing wrong with that TET612 PID from lightobject. I actually use one of those myself that I got on ebay from a different company for like $28. It works for temp control just dandy... it just can't control boils.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
staab016
Recipes 

I'm currently doing a cost comparison between PID and PWM options... the PID is shaking out about twice as much as the PWM. I really wish I knew more about this stuff though, I really don't know if I have all the parts I need.

Does anyone have a parts list for a VERY basic PID or PWM control?

And to be clear, due to my lack of electrical knowledge, I plan on having a licensced electrician look at my work before anything is powered up.

Quick Reply