Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric Brewing - Scorched Wort Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
Shockerengr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also, keep in mind that "smokey" is a phenol that can be generated by yeast.

I would also agree with the above poster that "smokey" and "burnt" are two distinct flavors/aromas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Have you ever dry fired your element. I did mine last weekend. Had to scrub the heck out of it to get the burnt taste off.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Home Brew Talk

My hop stopper

Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
Schalk79
Recipes 

Yikes... Just had a beer from a brewery that runs elements at more than double or even triple our system's Watt density.... It is a hoppy beer and was in the fridge for almost 5 months. The hop flavour faded... Now it tastes like someone ditched cigarette butts in the beer. WOW.... What a terrible taste.
Our beer is fine. Nowhere near this level of burnt....

Old 12-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #14
Jknapp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
for what it's worth: scorched/burnt wort does not have a flavor I would classify as "smokey" at all. It just tastes burnt. Like blackened marshmallows.
This, is the answer.. I've scorched two batches with my 2k elements - the flavor is a putrid, mouth puckering burnt taste/aftertaste. Very different from a "smokey" flavor. Even a hearty stout could not conceal the scorched flavor. I sadly dumped both batches.

My issue was in not thouroughly cleaning the elements after use - the protein would build up and after a few batches it started burning. Now I scrub the element really well after a batch and no more scorching!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockerengr View Post
Also, keep in mind that "smokey" is a phenol that can be generated by yeast.

I would also agree with the above poster that "smokey" and "burnt" are two distinct flavors/aromas
I have had this effect, so I'd go with this explanation.

I've also burnt/scorched a batch with my element and agree that smoky doesn't describe it in the least. Possibly your batch was just in the very beginning stage of burning, therefore a tinge of smoke maybe. But a true scorched batch would be spit it out of your mouth badness.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #16
arin
Recipes 

+ 1 knapp.

Unfortunately, I just had this same problem which led me to a search that found this thread. I have made several great batches with my setup but the last brewday made some gross burned beers and I noticed after brewing that day that my element was covered with burned protein. :-(

CLEAN THE ELEMENTS AFTER EACH BREWDAY TO PREVENT THIS

Old 01-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
stevehaun
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It is essential to clean the elements after each batch. A PITA, but essential.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 AM   #18
Schalk79
Recipes 

QUICK UPDATE:

I damaged one of our elements while cleaning them. The gunk burnt onto it was simply too bad so I replaced the element with a temporary hot water cylinder model.
In the meantime we have ordered proper lower heat density elements from a local element manufacturer - they should be ready in two weeks time.

Since our two heated vessels have the same basic design they can be interchanged as mash-lauter tun and boil kettle we realized the simplest way to keep the elements clean is to alternate the vessels. The low pH of the mashing process actually helps clean the elements.

A simple wipe with a cloth in warm water or a mild citric / peracetic acid solution yields elements as good as new after each brew day.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
workerman
Recipes 

Default Burnt/Nasty Smelling Wort

Hey, I was just searching around for brewers who had issues with scorching. I'm early on in the electric brewing, so basically I've got a 5000w heating element with no way to regular the wattage. I did a 90 minute boil several months back and forever will be wary of scorched wort. Until I get a way to ease up on the wattage, I keep my nose in close vicinity to the boil and frequently turn off the breaker. The 90 minute boil without easing the wattage created the foulest smelling wort I've ever smelt. I went ahead and chilled, pitched yeast, thinking, maybe it's ok, but in the end, I dumped the whole 5 gallons. It was disgusting, but I think unregulated wattage was the culprit.

Quick Reply