Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric Brewing on a PLC - Wiring Diagram

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #11
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Is there an idiot's guide to this stuff? I took a look at a site selling the DL06's, which look reasonable in price, and I get the overall idea of replacing a bunch of hard-wired relays with a PLC. But I am somewhat confused about the software required, etc.

Thanks!
(As an aside, I'm a co-author on three software patents and while retired from the corporate grindstone teach programming classes...so although I'm an old dog, hopefully I can still learn a few new tricks.)

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
wubears71

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
Is there an idiot's guide to this stuff? I took a look at a site selling the DL06's, which look reasonable in price, and I get the overall idea of replacing a bunch of hard-wired relays with a PLC. But I am somewhat confused about the software required, etc.

Thanks!
(As an aside, I'm a co-author on three software patents and while retired from the corporate grindstone teach programming classes...so although I'm an old dog, hopefully I can still learn a few new tricks.)
This is a good starting point.
http://www.automationdirect.com/stat...d006userm.html

The DL06 is very basic in regards to programming and can be a little bit of a PITA for anyone not familiar with ladder logic. RsLogix is much more user friendly IMHO but the DirectSoft Software cannot be beat considering the price.

Here is a link to a download to Directsoft
http://support.automationdirect.com/demos.html#ds5

Download and play with it as that is the best way to learn. The only limitation to the free version is that it only allows 100 words of logic but other than that it has all the features.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
SummitFever
Recipes 

It's awesome to see someone else going this route with a PLC. I have a Siemens S7-1200 with a 6" HMI that I'm hoping to get set up for mine. The only issue I have now is figuring out the best way to get the RTD signals into the PLC. Any reason you went with an RTD module over a signal conditioner?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #14
wubears71

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitFever View Post
It's awesome to see someone else going this route with a PLC. I have a Siemens S7-1200 with a 6" HMI that I'm hoping to get set up for mine. The only issue I have now is figuring out the best way to get the RTD signals into the PLC. Any reason you went with an RTD module over a signal conditioner?
Cost. I needed to buy an analog card anyway as the DL06 on has discrete inputs out of the box. I would have had to purchase an AI card so I just spent a little more for the RTD card and avoided having to buy signal conditioners.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #15
ernestmyname
Recipes 

I'll be watching this thread closely. I'm a controls engineer and have an AB processor and HMI I'm playing with for my electric build. I'm already jealous of your panel. Looks nice! My stuff is in a computer case for the time being. I am loving getting it all set up. There is so much cool stuff you can do once you get a PLC in the panel. At the moment I have the capability of trending temperature to a USB stick that sticks in the back of the HMI. I will probably start a thread soon.

Mine is so haphazardly thrown together at the moment I didn't even want to hear all the posts about how I was going to get myself killed.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
Poobah58
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I love PLC Direct but the way they do analog really sucks. The CPU can't read inputs simultaneously so you need to write a program just to read the inputs. Plus it's octal based and needs to be converted to decimal to read. Plus you just can't read the values online without sending each converted value to a register and putting it into your logic. It's a PITA. I almost went that route but just didn't want to spring for the RTD card when Auber has built in RTD inputs. Have you checked out AB's new Micro 800 series PLC? Has free downloadable software. Price is supposed to be competitive with PLC Direct...

Old 03-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
ernestmyname
Recipes 

I'm using the Micro830. Version 1.01 of their software just came out a couple weeks ago. Version 1.00 was extremely buggy although 1.01 is a vast improvement.

The Micro800 series uses a different software suite than any of the other AB processors. It is much different from both RSLogix 5, 500, and 5000. I can type up a comparison in the next week or so if you guys are interested. The software is free off the AB site. It is called connected components workbench. I would suggest downloading it and playing around with it before anyone bites the bullet and gets one of the processors. I suggest building a simple program before making any commitment. You have to convert numbers (ints or reals) to "time" variables before they can be passed to a timer. Also - If you multiply an int and a real you have to put it in a real variable and then convert the real to an int. It won't convert for you with the MUL, DIV, etc blocks.

It does support PID control and the component series of HMIs are very reasonably priced although programming for the controller and most the component HMI's is done through USB.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #18
wubears71

Recipes 

Yea I hate the octal to decimal conversion stuff. When DCS gurus say PLCs have no business controlling process they are referring to PLCs like the DL-06. I'm a Control Logix Guru and a DeltaV Guru and the only thing I haven't been able to do with CLX that I could do with DeltaV is advanced process control out of the box. However Real applications requiring Fuzzy Logic, Model Predictive Control, etc are few so I never buy the arguement that one cannot do process control with a PLC. Well I should really say PAC.

If I was automating more than just 3 RTDs and had a bunch of Analog stuff there is no way I would use the DL06.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
wubears71

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestmyname View Post
I'm using the Micro830. Version 1.01 of their software just came out a couple weeks ago. Version 1.00 was extremely buggy although 1.01 is a vast improvement.

The Micro800 series uses a different software suite than any of the other AB processors. It is much different from both RSLogix 5, 500, and 5000. I can type up a comparison in the next week or so if you guys are interested. The software is free off the AB site. It is called connected components workbench. I would suggest downloading it and playing around with it before anyone bites the bullet and gets one of the processors. I suggest building a simple program before making any commitment. You have to convert numbers (ints or reals) to "time" variables before they can be passed to a timer. Also - If you multiply an int and a real you have to put it in a real variable and then convert the real to an int. It won't convert for you with the MUL, DIV, etc blocks.

It does support PID control and the component series of HMIs are very reasonably priced although programming for the controller and most the component HMI's is done through USB.
I'll have to check it out next week. I wonder if we as an integration partner have access to any prebuilt libraries.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
ernestmyname
Recipes 

This thing is so new, I doubt it. Jump on the knowledgebase and search around. There is a lot more stuff now than there was a couple months ago but it is still limited.

Quick Reply