Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric Brewery - Ventilation Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
NattyBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't have any of the tools to bore a 4" diameter hole in my foundation wall so I am not sure that solution would be much easier for me than having the glass block window re-configured. Going up through the floor joists could be a possibility, though I still would have to get through the exterior brick with a drill bit somehow.

I got a quote for a new window with the proper vents installed for $150 bucks so I am really leaning towards that option right now I think. Thanks for the ideas, I may investigate going through the joists and exterior brick option a bit more as that sounds more doable with the tools I have on hand...

"Over-complicating my brew day, one gadget at a time..."

Check out the complete build of my Electric Brewery!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
mariojr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyBrew View Post
I don't have any of the tools to bore a 4" diameter hole in my foundation wall so I am not sure that solution would be much easier for me than having the glass block window re-configured. Going up through the floor joists could be a possibility, though I still would have to get through the exterior brick with a drill bit somehow.

I got a quote for a new window with the proper vents installed for $150 bucks so I am really leaning towards that option right now I think. Thanks for the ideas, I may investigate going through the joists and exterior brick option a bit more as that sounds more doable with the tools I have on hand...
Cool. Hope everything works out perfectly for you.

Mario

A Flower?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
NattyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions, gotta keep the mind churning to come up with an ideal solution here.

I know it isn't the same as measuring true CFM, but couldn't I jut use an anemometer to measure wind speed at the end of the exhaust pipe in different configurations and compare? I know there has got to be something I would be missing in the physics of CFM. Any HVAC techs on this site? Haha

Old 03-05-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
bzomerlei
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another option to consider on your outlet vent through the window is to extended it out further from the window so the distance between the outlet and the inlet are further apart.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
NattyBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think I get what you are saying, just extend the pipe straight out from the side of the house further to get the vent air further from my inlet window. I didn't even think of that. There really isn't anything on that side of the house so a pipe sticking a little further out from the wall wouldn't be too bad. As long as it doesn't end up being more than a foot or two.

I think my plan is to get all the interior pieces assembled since the plans there for the most part aren't changing then just by a bunch of elbows and short pieces of PVC pipe and try them all out. I think the key is to make sure all this nonsense on the outside of the house doesn't restrict the CFM and airflow of the fan too much to properly vent the steam from my brew room.

Thanks as always for the ideas guys!

Old 03-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #16
bzomerlei
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes, that is what I meant

If you can do that, it would be less restricting than the additional elbow you were showing in option 2.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #17
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

RE: going through the wall for a 4" hole

Find a tool rental supply place, and rent a 4" core drill. They can be rented by the hour and run anywhere from $40-80 around here depending on the type you rent. You can do it yourself and place it where you relatively inexpensively.

Just another option to consider.

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 03-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
davidstar58
Recipes 

I work in the trades and and I am sure that it is difference in nomenclature but you really don't want to cut a 4" hole in your floor joists I am sure you meant that cutting a 4" hole in the rim joist the one on the outside perimeter of your house is fine

The standard way of running a vent is to use insulated duct work so you don't get condensation

The core drill is the way to go but you can also grind out the mortar and take out some bricks and chip away at them with a cold chisel and reinstall them leaving you a 4" hole

Dave

Burrning Barn Brewing

Old 03-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #19
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Is the vent pipe high enough to keep critters out, or does it have a magic flap ? I worry about creatures if I don't get the pipe high enough since I brew in the basement (no vent pipe yet -- just using a window fan)

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Quick Reply