Electric Brewery Quality??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbuzzard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I built a new PID controlled gas fired brewery. I initially thought considered an all electric system but was concerned with the elements scorching my wort. I read the article in this months BYO rag and the gears started turning again. Have any of you electric brewers won awards in BJCP sanctioned competitions? How many and which ones. Also, have you scorched any worts?

Thanks,

Brewbuzzard

Im one of those people... i went from a Brutus10 propane rig to a 120v E-BIAB rig. I should have done it years ago. I use the 1650 ULWD 120v elements and havent had any issue. I read plenty of advice here first.. I soaked them in starsan to remove the zinc and scrubbed them down to copper layer.

Other than that.. my garage is quiet now on brew days, and i dont smell like propane burner when i go in.

Im one of those people... i went from a Brutus10 propane rig to a 120v E-BIAB rig. I should have done it years ago. I use the 1650 ULWD 120v elements and havent had any issue. I read plenty of advice here first.. I soaked them in starsan to remove the zinc and scrubbed them down to copper layer.

Other than that.. my garage is quiet now on brew days, and i dont smell like propane burner when i go in.

Thanks Mirilis, that makes the decision easier.

Winning comps seems like an arbitrary measuring stick, but I get what you're saying. Do you think there would be thousands of people converting over to electric (and emphatically stating that they'd never go back) if it were a ticket to inferior beer?

Goo point Bobby and I did consider that, but I have to ask.

Thanks,

I built a new PID controlled gas fired brewery. I initially thought considered an all electric system but was concerned with the elements scorching my wort. I read the article in this months BYO rag and the gears started turning again. Have any of you electric brewers won awards in BJCP sanctioned competitions? How many and which ones. Also, have you scorched any worts?

Thanks,

Brewbuzzard

I brew on an all electric HERMS rig and I've won several Gold's in BJCP sanctioned competitions and recently won my Club's Brewer of the Year award.

No scorching issues here. And I brew a metric f-ton of beer. :)

As a Canadian it's nice to see metric being used on here every once and a while.

Us Canucks have no idea how much an imperial f-ton is! :)

I have also decided to convert to metric. It seems to be more accurate and the math is faster and easier. My brew will have to get use to it.

IMG_20180526_103302258.jpg
IMG_20180526_103302258.jpg
IMG_20180526_102726990.jpg
Well it's almost 5 years later and my all electric brewery has been in operation for about two years. It works great. 3 vessel, 240 VAC 60 AMPS system.
IMG_20180526_102726990.jpg

A lot of commercial breweries brew on electric rigs, and put out incredible beer, so at the end of the day it just comes down to picking the right setup for your goals. Thats all there is to it

Oh...I gotcha. Yep, I was nervous as hell when I first powered up the control panel but everything worked perfectly. Now we can have 15 to 20 gal into the fermenters in about 6 hr and cleaned

This is the building it sets in. 240 sq. ft. blown in foam insulation all around, 25 sq. ft. Fermentation room and a small room for the upright frige with taps to serve 5 beers. We're shtiing in tall cotton now.
IMG_20190806_135056.jpg

This is the building it sets in. 240 sq. ft. blown in foam insulation all around, 25 sq. ft. Fermentation room and a small room for the upright frige with taps to serve 5 beers. We're shtiing in tall cotton now.View attachment 639028
:off: How's the fire department feel about you having fenced in the fire hydrant?

Brew on :mug:

I thought someone might notice that. It's not a working hydrant, I put it there for my dog to pee on.
Looks like a real hydrant (faded paint, rusty base, etc.) I've seen the plastic ones they sell to put in yards for dogs, but this doesn't look like one of those.

Brew on :mug:

Back