Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric Boil off rate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
BenS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Electric Boil off rate

Has anyone noticed a difference in boil off since converting to electric? A few months ago, I converted my BK to electric and even though I dial my PID into roughly the same amount of vigorous boil, I seem to be getting less boil off. Everything in my brewing process has stayed the same, even the location I brew in (garage). My only thought is that because my heat element is about 2.5-3 gal up from the bottom of my keggle, it's not heating the same thermal mass as my propane burner. I'm even using the same keggle, just converted it to electric. Anyone else out there noticed this happening?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

For an equivalent heat input into a system, you'll get an equivalent rate of boil-off (given equivalent environmental conditions). Electric vs. propane shouldn't really have any impact on that. Thermal mass refers to the heat capacity of the material you are trying to manipulate: i.e., the water and the pot. That hasn't changed.

It's certainly possible, though, that the appearance of your boil has changed, thus leading you to think that you are getting the same degree of vigor between your two systems.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
BenS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
It's certainly possible, though, that the appearance of your boil has changed, thus leading you to think that you are getting the same degree of vigor between your two systems.
You are probably right, there has to be something that has changed to change my boil off as drastically as it has. It is something that I'm learning to compensate for(less pre-boil volume), I just found it interesting and was wondering if other home brewers had noticed a similar phenomenon.

Quick Reply