Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric BIAB Woes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Thanks - I just did a quick scan of the Yambor thread on Braumeister and saw some posts about that problem. I going to go back to conditioning before spending time/money on more Stainless parts that might not work anyway. And then of course 50 cents of rice hulls might be a solution.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Doing my fourth BIAB on my new single kettle set up. First three brew days were pretty much uneventful but today I ran into a problem. I decided to do a 104F rest to check PH and adjust but my temps overshot to 111F before the grain went in.
Sounds like a PID setup problem. Just water, temp set for 104° and it hit 111°. Temp probe under FB which is also where the heating element lives. I'm assuming that you were recirculating during this heat up process. No? If not, that could be a root cause (stratification). If you were recirculating, then either the PID parameters are in question or the temp probe placement is not measuring the actual output temperature but is measuring an eddy current (a low flow part of the water stream - probe possibly placed on the opposite side of the kettle from the output port? That way it would tell the PID that the temp was not quite there and deliver more power.)

Anyway, Sorry for thinking out loud.
P-J

Old 07-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #13
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Yooper, it was surely a vacuum, when I pulled the bag away from the sides it did mini eruptions. I thought it was going to come exploding out of the kettle, that's why I hit the kill switch (thanks PJ) and stood back to await the lava (wort). What I can't figure out is why and how to prevent it from happening again. My system is pretty accurate when it is filled with grain and temps don't wander much, but when it is just water it overshoots - the odd thing this time was that it didn't cool down very fast, which is unusual.
I'm glad you included the EPO in your setup as events like that makes it well worth having available.
And it's not the time to be searching for the power cord either.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
I'm glad you included the EPO in your setup as events like that makes it well worth having available.
And it's not the time to be searchind for the power cord either.

Yeah, I was thinking I really need to go turn that thing off just in case and I remembered that little yellow button which was within reach. Thanks.

As to the overshoot, since it doesn't happen all the time I am at a loss to figure it. Next brew I am going to set the desired temp cooler than I want and see what happens. The first 3 brew days and the 3 trial water runs had some overshoot but I thought I fixed it. I wonder if the placement of the return hose is crucial to be in the same spot?

Quick Reply