The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric BIAB Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
Antler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Default Electric BIAB Questions

I brew 5 gallon batches, eventually I'd like to move my setup indoors.

Im thinking about just using an element and PWM controller to basically replace propane as the heat source. I'm also tossing around the idea of a recirculating mash, and using a PID to control temps during the mash. I don't know why but I hate the idea of controlling the boil with the PID. Can I use a PWM to control the boil in the same system? Say a switch with mash mode, letting a PID control the element and pump during the mash. Then turn the switch to boil mode, and the element is then controlled by the PWM for the boil. Is this possible?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 81

If you're going to use a PID to control the temp during the mash then switch to a PWM to control the boil, this is easily accomplished with just a PID that has manual control.

The Auber 2352 has an Auto/Manual button on the front. Push that then set % of power you want. 0-100%. Pretty much like a dial, but using buttons.

What you have proposed is definitely possible and I think Walker uses the same concept on his rig, but why when you can have all of it in 1 device?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Antler
Recipes 

I don't like the idea of pushing buttons for the boil, it's just my preference, but if I'm going to be standing there watching it the whole time (which I do) I'd much rather take control with a dial then pushing buttons.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
Antler
Recipes 

I know the boil can be controlled with a PID in manual mode, but I prefer to use a dial for controlling a boil.

Well here's a pic hoping for some replies. I'm super bored so drew up a pretty crude drawing of what I'd want my control panel to look like. Nothing big, maybe 10"x10"?

Sorry for the rough artwork.

image-3256796081.jpg  

Old 05-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
mbitton
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

read your post then found this http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pid...isited-286134/ while searching for something...figured it might be a good read for you.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #6
Antler
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbitton
read your post then found this http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/pid...isited-286134/ while searching for something...figured it might be a good read for you.
Thanks, I've tried searching but I'm having problems with the search feature on the HBT app.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler View Post
I don't like the idea of pushing buttons for the boil, it's just my preference, but if I'm going to be standing there watching it the whole time (which I do) I'd much rather take control with a dial then pushing buttons.
But what "control" do you have to take? When you boil you don't ever change the setting. For your setup, for the amount of water you boil, you find what duty cycle is needed and then use it for all your batches. There's nothing to adjust during the 60-90 minute boil.

My boil usually goes something like this:

(1) Set duty cycle to 100% to get up to boil.
(2) Once boiling, reduce to 85% and maintain for entire duration.
(3) When boil is done, turn off boil.

You can certainly watch the boil the whole time, but there's no need to constantly tweak or adjust the duty cycle. That would indeed probably be easier with a rotary knob, but it's not required.

I'd stick with the 1 PID to do it all. It makes it simpler.

Kal

Old 05-31-2012, 02:04 AM   #8
Antler
Recipes 

I'm always adjusting heat when boiling. Maybe it's just me playing with it but I always turn it up a little when I have the cover off for hop additions, turn it back down when the cover goes back on.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler View Post
I'm always adjusting heat when boiling. Maybe it's just me playing with it but I always turn it up a little when I have the cover off for hop additions, turn it back down when the cover goes back on.
You shouldn't boil with the cover on. You need to boil with the cover off to drive off all sorts of volatile compounds (like DMS). It's one of the purposes of boiling.

I've never seen or heard of anyone turning the power up/down during boiling like that. Mostly because you should not boil with a cover.

Kal

Old 05-31-2012, 04:10 AM   #10
Antler
Recipes 

I didn't know that! Thanks! This project is a long ways off. I'd like to see your upcoming BIAB system before making a decision.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads