Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Ekeggle amperage question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3624 Times on 2233 Posts
Likes Given: 3127

I have been using 25A SSRs (Crydom) for 2 years. 240VAC, 5500W elements. No problem. I have an excellent heat sink, though, not one of those smallish chinese black ones. 0.7°C/W.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

When I was building my system, ebay didn't have as many options as it does now.

I could have gotten a 25A SSR+heatsink for $15 or a 40A SSR+heatsinck for.... $15.

I decided to get the 40A since it was literally the exact same price, and if I ever wanted to go over 5500W, I would be able to do it without necessarily getting new SSR.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenS View Post
I'm an engineer by trade and believe there is a proper tool for every job. Doesn't make sense to me that they would produce a 25A SSR that isn't capable of handling a 25A continous load for the duration of its shelf life.

I apologize, I think I just talked myself into using the 25A SSR. I hope I did not come across as rude bruin ale.
Go on and run that race car in the red. Oh and speaking from experience these bad boys only last a short time without proper ventilation. The fact that you will be pushing the 25a to near maximum operation everytime you use it will most likely decrease its life span. Like Walker and others said before the price is nearly the same for either why not take the more robust one?

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #14
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_ale View Post
No offense taken, do what you want. I'm an electrical engineer, though mostly focused on digital design.

Me, too... and I used to live and work in Campbell. I work for a company headquartered in Santa Clara now, but we have an office in Durham, NC, and I wanted to get out of silicon valley.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #15
BenS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Go on and run that race car in the red.
Haha! Woohoo!

I'll do it. It's going to be blazing!, perhaps literally....

What you guys are saying does make perfect sense, and I do agree with you, just makes me disappointed in industrial products when I have to "overbuy" something just to make sure it will work for an extended period of time. Also disappoints me that I have to buy said ****ty product from the chinese and that we can't make it here at home. But that is a rant for a different forum on HBT.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #16
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IDK if US ever manufactured SSRs here I know there are some German/Swiss/Japanese models that cost 5x - 10x as much and perform better (less noise). For what we are doing with brewing we can live with noise it does not matter. For what I do at work we have to use the pricey ones.

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #17
Charlie_in_TX
Recipes 

I also am an electrical engineer. A few of my designs include SSR for military applications. For various reasons, (most false turn on due to high dv/dt spikes) we build our own SSRs. Do you need to derate the SSRs? It depends. If you are using a avalanche turn on device (think triac or SCR) with zero crossing turn on circuitry, you can push the limits. No zero crossing, start to derate. It is a bi-polar transistor, I derate to 10% rating, ie. If I need to switch a 6 amp load, I use a minimum 60 amp rated transistor.

For me, bigger is better.

PS - generally, the voltage drop is the same for all SSRs. The higher current units use a larger silicon wafer so the current density is the same.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:48 AM   #18
BenS
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Charlie-I should clarify, I'm a mech egnr. I know of what you're talking about, but thats about it. And while I'm glad that you derate so heavily when designing for the DoD(I know how things get used and abused in the field), I was just wondering if a 25A SSR would work for my brewing(not exposed to elements or jostled or run in extreme temps) for an acceptable shelf life.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS