Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > E kettle or heat stick. Need help on deciding.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default E kettle or heat stick. Need help on deciding.

Ok let me fill you in what I have and what I want to do. I'm a extract brewer using a 5gal pot on a gas stove. My power burner has no problem getting 4 1/2g of wort to a boil. My problem is my brew operation is on a different floor than the kitchen. Luging stuff up and down is a choir.

E kettle or heat stick? Because this is a condo type house and in NYC. There is no central air, only window air conditioners. There is a 120v 20a single outlet right below the window. My thought is to make a cord with a GFI outlet and a on off switch to plug the heat stick or element into.

What size element should I go with ? Will I be able to get 4 1/2g to boil in a insulated kettle ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
ComeOnNow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Are you going to put the put on the stove, and supplement with the heat stick, or only the heat stick?

Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
BxBrewer
Recipes 

Just the heat stick, partial boil. I also plan on insulating the kettle as well.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

With 4.5 gallons, I would personally go with a 120v low watt element plugged in. I would encourage you to wire up some sort of pulse width modulator device to control the boil if you go that route. Another option would be finding a hot plate, and using a heat stick to supplement. I know a guy who brews his 5g extracts in this manner, and it works well for him.

I'm not entirely sure if a heatstick would do the job itself, but someone who has tried might have better input.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
BxBrewer
Recipes 

Would I be able to run a 120v 2000w element on the 20a circuit ?

Old 03-18-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would use a 2000w heatstick, I like heatsticks even if they are a bit ghetto, 2000w will boil 4.5 gallons but may not be super fast, insulating the kettle, or at least wrapping with a towel might help a little.

Kettle mounting will work very well also!

How big is your kettle? Reason being is if you are trying to boil 4.5 in a 5 gallon pot, then you may want some sort of PWM control on the element as the boil may get rolling well jump out of the pot a bit. If your kettle is 9-10 gallons, I would just let the element run 100% w/ no control.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

yeah, you shouldn't have an issue, that should only draw 16.6 amps. You might have to watch how many things you have drawing from that circuit, and turn some stuff off, or not use other things while brewing.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

If you don't mind a little slower boil time, the heatstick might be the way to go. There is a lot less messing around with wiring and holes in your kettle that way. That being said, I love my pwm controlled e-keggle and wouldn't do it a different way! (Apart from full automation, of course )

Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 396 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 8

In my observations, PWM control is great for larger elements that might cause a boilover...but with only 2000w, all you ever want to do is turn it up higher, never lower. Just can't imagine ever needing to turn down a 2000w boiler, unless you are boiling 4.5 gal in a 5 gal kettle, then fine tuning might have value.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 03-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
HopsMan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
In my observations, PWM control is great for larger elements that might cause a boilover...but with only 2000w, all you ever want to do is turn it up higher, never lower. Just can't imagine ever needing to turn down a 2000w boiler, unless you are boiling 4.5 gal in a 5 gal kettle, then fine tuning might have value.
His first post he mentions a 5 gallon pot, so 4.5 might be a bit tough to control. I went without one for a 240v 5000W element and my 10 gallon boils were boiling over unless I stirred constantly. Chances are he would be fine, but I've always thought it was nice to have control over the boil.

Quick Reply