Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > E-HERMS--What kind of efficiency should I be getting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
utopeya
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default E-HERMS--What kind of efficiency should I be getting?

So I've built a semi-automated cooler-based E-HERMS (based mostly on ideas stolen from these boards), and on my first mostly-successful brew day using my completed setup, I was slightly disappointed with my efficiency. So I thought I would go through my process, and someone might be able to tell me where I'm making a mistake.

I was doing a 6-gallon batch, grain bill just over 18 pounds. (19 counting the rice hulls--by the way, I added the rice hulls in dry; was that a mistake?) After making sure to stir everything really well, I set the pump to recirculate. My first rest was 122 (although I overshot by about 1-2 degrees) for 15 minutes. During this initial rest, I realized that my sparge arm had fallen from the cooler lid and that my pump was just shooting wort directly down into the grain bed. I fished the sparge arm out and put it back in place, and everything seemed to be fine.

When the 15 minutes were over, I ramped up to 149, which took about 40 minutes total. After letting the mash sit at 149 for an hour, I ramped up to 165 or so and then started sparging (at 170). After pumping sparge water in for maybe 12-15 minutes, I shut the pump off and let the wort continue draining into the kettle for another 15 minutes or so. When I had a little over 8 gallons (My kettle is wide, so my boiloff rate is high--and I was doing a 105-minute boil.), I stopped draining.

After boiling down to ~6 gallons, I had an OG of about 1.075. I was shooting for 1.090, which I would have gotten at 80% efficiency.

If you're still with me after that novel... what am I doing wrong? Did I sparge too fast? Did I recirculate too fast and cause channeling? Did I not mash for long enough? Any ideas would be appreciated.

As an aside: I wrote my own software to control my brewery using an Arduino. It's still a work in progress. (One day I'll automate the valves and figure out how to precisely monitor volumes and stuff.) It's a bit of a hack job, but if anyone's interested in this kind of system for an E-HERMS, you're welcome to the code. Just let me know...

Here's the control panel:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

i'm running at about 70% if i'm calculating it right.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I've never bothered to calculate efficiency, but I did just brew 11 gallons of beer yesterday with my eHERMS and got 1.062 SG with 24 lbs of grain.

TB

1. Pils 2. Pils 3. none 4. none 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. IPA 3. IPA 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Imperial Bourbon Barrel Oatmeal Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Dry Stout, Cali Common

Old 11-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4284 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 830

It depends on the recipe- if you used all two-row, 18 pounds of grain should get you about 1.080 or so at 75% efficiency. At 70%, 1.075.

Why the protein rest? I'm concerned that you did a protein rest, and then took over 40 minutes to get up to the saccrification rest.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
utopeya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies. From my calculations, I think I'm somewhere between 65% and 70%.

Yooper, the malt bill was mostly German pilsner malt, plus a little over a pound and a half of amber malt.

I did the protein rest, honestly, because I was following the BYO recipe for Dogfish Head 90 Minute, and that's what it said to do. I think I need a bigger element in my HLT--the 1500W I have in there now is a little slow.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:43 AM   #6
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopeya View Post
Yooper, the malt bill was mostly German pilsner malt, plus a little over a pound and a half of amber malt.
That still does not answer Yooper's question. You can find domestic German style Pilsner Malts that are fully modified that can be brewed with a single infusion. What did the malt analysis sheet say? Was it undermodified or fully modified? My bet is that it was undermodified and the step schedule you used did not allow you to convert enough starch to sugar hence your low efficiency.

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 11-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
utopeya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My malt was Weyermann Pilsner. I don't have the analysis sheet (I order my grains from Brewmaster's Warehouse, and they come pre-crushed and pre-mixed.), but the Weyermann site says it's "well-modified."

Old 11-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
My malt was Weyermann Pilsner. I don't have the analysis sheet (I order my grains from Brewmaster's Warehouse, and they come pre-crushed and pre-mixed.), but the Weyermann site says it's "well-modified."
If the malt is well modified, a step mash robs the beer of it's body and head retention making a watery beer.

The following is from Palmer's "How to Brew"
Quote:
Using this rest in a mash consisting mainly of fully modified malts would break up the proteins responsible for body and head retention and result in a thin, watery beer.
If you don't mind be asking why did you think you had to use a stepped mash schedule?

Guy

Brewery URL: Black Dog Brewery NY

BBQ Team URL: Two Fat Polocks BBQ Team

Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #9
utopeya
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For three reasons:

1. I didn't remember that from Palmer's book.
2. I didn't know about Weyermann Pilsner specifically, and I had read that German Pilsner malts were less modified than their US counterparts.
3. That's what the recipe I found said to do. (I've only brewed three batches so far, so I'm still a novice when it comes to things like this.)

Thanks again for your help.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
For three reasons:

1. I didn't remember that from Palmer's book.
2. I didn't know about Weyermann Pilsner specifically, and I had read that German Pilsner malts were less modified than their US counterparts.
3. That's what the recipe I found said to do. (I've only brewed three batches so far, so I'm still a novice when it comes to things like this.)

Thanks again for your help.
I'm guessing you are making a pilsener? Pilseners and many lagers are supposed to be crystal clear, so I too would consider a step mash. Especially if you, like me some times, are getting chill haze in your beer. There are other means for dealing with haze, such as gelatin, but it too takes away from the beer. I am working on doing a wirlpool after the boil which may also help.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Quick Reply