New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > E-Herms Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Holter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Haha. I didn't realize that the mannequin was visible. No awesome stories behind it, it's my friend's wife's mannequin, we brew in their garage. She does dress it up occasionally in our "brewery" t-shirt though, which I think is pretty awesome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
Holter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Lars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holter
Here are the trivets on the stand

Very cool idea, if you don't mind I think I may steal this one
Have at it! That's one of the reasons for posting these threads!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Man. I spelled it manakin? 10:25 am too. Can't even blame it on not having coffee yet.

Very nice setup. I'd love to see some more control panel pictures, though. Your stand is great but you teased us with the best part. Not cool!

Old 01-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #14
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Nice trivets.. FYI, my brew vessels sit directly on a painted sheet of plywood. Before I sealed it with polyurethane the spills were kinda messing it up, but the heat has never shown to be a problem. Still the trivets do give you that nice classy touch that I'm clearly missing in my setup

Old 02-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #15
Holter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_ale View Post
Nice trivets.. FYI, my brew vessels sit directly on a painted sheet of plywood. Before I sealed it with polyurethane the spills were kinda messing it up, but the heat has never shown to be a problem. Still the trivets do give you that nice classy touch that I'm clearly missing in my setup
You know I figured it would be fine to just sit the kettles on the wood directly, but once I came up with the idea for the trivets I was pretty set in my ways. It's good to know though, in case I ever take them off of the stand.

The only part I am still debating about with the trivets is whether I want to permanently attach them to the stand. I want to do it, but I decided to leave them loose for the first few brew days and just out furniture movers underneath each one to keep it from scratching the wood. If I do permanently attach them I plan to put a bead of silicon around the outside to keep liquid out from underneath the pieces.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:18 AM   #16
Holter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickout View Post
Wow, that's one hell of a setup! I'm jealous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAORGANY View Post
That is one killer set up thanks for sharing...making me want to get mine finished all the more so!!!
Thanks guys, it's been fun to work on this. Now I am just itching to brew on it. The first time we boiled water was a fantastic moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomzofdoom View Post
Two things:

1) Very cool idea using the flat panel mount for your control panel
Yeah that was my buddy's idea. We usually brew in the garage but hang out outside. With that mount we should still be able to see the panel if we are sitting outside or inside, so once he suggested using a tv mount it was really a no brainer. We just had to take a jig saw to the edge of the portion of the mount that sits behind the panel for aesthetic reasons, but other than that it was straight out of the box and onto the brew stand.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Yeah, really like that idea also.. I didn't mount my panel, just set it on a table and run from there because I didnt want to take up extra space by hard mounting it on the side of my sculpture. I think I may borrow that idea for my rig, really cool to have an articulating mount like that.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:44 AM   #18
Holter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I decided to head up to the bay area this weekend to visit some friends and get my hands on a pint of pliny the younger since I've never had it before. We hired a driver for the day and plan on hitting Russian River's pub, Lagunitas for the brewery tour and maybe bear republic. So unfortunately no progress on the brewery this weekend.

I heated up water on Weds but with the boil kettle PID set to manual and 100% we couldn't get above 207 degrees F. So I've got some troubleshooting to do next week before the first brew next weekend.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #19
Holter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

For now I have some more pictures. I'd say we are 90% complete. Tomorrow is the first brew on the new system, at which point I expect to find the other 10% during the first batch.

Here is a shot of the end of the brew stand with all of the cables organized. All of the cables at my office are organized with his cool double sided Velcro, so I picked up a roll for the brew system and it works great.

Added some bleeder valves to the pumps. I was having trouble priming and clearing the pump lines without burning myself so I hooked these up. Eventually I will replace the pumps with the ones Kal recommends, I already had the pumps from before so I was trying to avoid extra costs. You can't really see it, but we added some plexiglas to the front of the pump stand to further protect from water.

Added metal sheets to the wall behind the system. Here is a full shot of the system.

Reverse angle

From the front.

And finally, yeast on the stir plate for tomorrows brew...

Old 02-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #20
Holter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well i now have two batches in the fermenter on this thing. The first brew session was nothing short of hell. Temperatures didnt match, plumbing got stuck and i ended up with 15 gallons of beer after 15 hours of brewing and I have no idea what it will taste like nor do i have any idea how to repeat it if it works out well.

My second batch was far more successful, id say i am 80% satisfied with how the system functions. The main temperature issue from the first batch was inadequate plumbing or flow between kettles. The way Kal and many of you on this forum have designed your kettles is to have the temperature probe in the T fitting on the outlet of the kettles. For me, the issue i had was that i wasnt getting good flow through the T fitting so it wasnt completely submersing the probe in hot wort. Because of this i was getting incredibly low readings on the MLT probe. The culprit was loose compression fittings inside the MLT that was causing poor suction. That and the dip tube was far too close to the bottom of the kettle, restricting the flow even more.

Batch #2's main problem was with my whirlpool setup. What is ironic about all of the issues that i had in my first two batches is that the portion of the brewery i was the most worried about, electricity and panel wiring, are the only pieces that have worked flawlessly. Everything else that I thought was a piece of cake has been the issue. Go figure.

Quick Reply