Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > E-Brewing help requested for a novice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
CrookedStaff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ah, gotcha.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #12
chrisdb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

subscribe

Old 08-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
CrookedStaff
Recipes 

P-J: Would removing the E-Stop do away with the breakers and contactors or are those good practice? If they are good practice, are 30A 120V contactors what I am looking for?

I have noticed that in some of your other BCS diagrams those are not included. If I am over complicating things with all of the switches and you feel they aren't really necessary please let me know.

Last edited by CrookedStaff; 08-05-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedStaff View Post
P-J: Would removing the E-Stop do away with the breakers and contactors or are those good practice? If they are good practice, are 15A 120V contactors what I am looking for?

I have noticed that in some of your other BCS diagrams those are not included. If I am over complicating things with all of the switches and you feel they aren't really necessary please let me know.
The E-Stop is there to trip the GFCI breaker. It is there for its name sake "Emergency Stop". You certainly can remove it but keep in mind what needs to be done when things go wrong.

The breakers are there to protect the devices and also the wiring within the panel. The main feed for the panel as shown is 50A. Fuses are not a good practice for protecting 240V circuits. When one blows there is still voltage available on the element through the other line.

The contactors are rated for 240V 30A with a coil voltage of 120V. The 5500W elements draw 23A. Here is a LINK.

The contactors could be eliminated and switches substituted for them. They are placed in this particular diagram because of the switches chosen by the person I drew it for. He wanted to use illumiated switches & they do not have the current capability for switching element power.

I posted this diagram as you had mentioned Kal's build and I thought you were looking for... Nevermind.

I hope this makes sense.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #15
CrookedStaff
Recipes 

It does and thanks for the diagram and responses. I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply