Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > e-Brewery Control Panel Project/Conversion from Propane to Electric

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksabbath View Post
Damn Paul...You've come a long way in the past couple of years. I need to get out and see your set-up as you are building.
Dan, I'll cross-post to the forum at http://stlbrews.org . Also looks like I'm going to have the Tech Topic at the Feb meeting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
How about this?

The three elements cannot all be energized at the same time. You have to make choices. However, if you change the 2 5500W elements to 4500W elements, it can be run without issue. (You never stated your kettle sizes that I could see.) Additionally, I think it is important that your RIMS element be powered with 240V so that the total power draw is within reason.

Hope this helps.
P-J,

Switch #5 - that's a DPDT switch, right? That allows the pump to continue to run while interlocking the power to the control circuit for the RIMS element? I'm fairly certain of that, but need to doublecheck before ordering parts.

On second thought - the switches from Auber indicate there are 2 sets of contacts. So nothing to worry about?

Thanks!

Paul

Old 01-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
JoeHPhil
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

subscribed

Can't wait to sede how this works out!

Old 01-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbeer View Post
P-J,

Switch #5 - that's a DPDT switch, right? That allows the pump to continue to run while interlocking the power to the control circuit for the RIMS element? I'm fairly certain of that, but need to doublecheck before ordering parts.

Thanks!

Paul
The switches are from Auber Instruments.
Illuminated Pushbutton Switch
They are available in 3 colors and have 2 N/O contacts. That makes them a DPST unit.

Yes, switch #5 is interlocked so that RIMS pump power is supplied whenever the RIMS element power is applied.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

P-J,

Auber came out with a new PID that has an integrated timer.

1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller w/ Timer [SWA-24X1] - $57.50 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

It seems pretty much like a 2352 except there is a timer reset and 1 alarm.

Do you think this would integrate pretty easily? I would have to add 1 switch to reset the timer.

Thanks!
Paul

Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Yes that certainly can be done. You would need to get the PID Model SWA-2451 so that you have SSR output control. (Model SWA-2441 is relay output) You would only need to have one of them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbeer View Post
P-J,

Auber came out with a new PID that has an integrated timer.

1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller w/ Timer [SWA-24X1] - $57.50 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

It seems pretty much like a 2352 except there is a timer reset and 1 alarm.

Do you think this would integrate pretty easily? I would have to add 1 switch to reset the timer.

Thanks!
Paul

Old 01-12-2012, 11:54 PM   #17
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks P-J. I'm going to alter my parts list to include this PID/Timer instead of the 2352's. I'll have one for the RIMs and one for the BK.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #18
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Scored a Stahlin enclosure! It's roughly 17"x20"x10". Fiberglass and the price was right - FREE!

I also got a couple of heat sinks for the Crydom SSR's I'm using.

Next up - PID/Timers, RTD's, contactors, & switches from Auber. Unless someone knows of an illuminated, maintained switch for less than $11.98.

Breakers from either ebay, Pioneer Breaker, Factorymation, or Automation Direct. These buggers are pricey.

Then I need plugs and receptacles and get the electrician in here to wire up my subpanel that I need to buy....

Old 02-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Finally starting to make some progress on this project.

The holes on the front where the wrong size and location so I filled them up with some Bondo and sanded them nice and smooth.

The four holes around the perimeter of the door are for the door latches.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #20
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Now that the holes are filled, I'm trying to determine the best layout for the controls.

From left to right and top to bottom,

HLT PID, then RIMS PID with Alarm for mash complete timer, and then BK PID with alarm for hop additions timer.

Pushbutton maintained switches (green) in the next row down to control the contactors for the heating elements.

Pushbutton maintained switches (white squares now, but maybe yellow pushbutton switches) below the RIMS and BK PIDs for resetting the timers.

Then on the bottom row the pushbutton maintained switches (blue) for the pumps. RIMS on the left and CFC on the right.

The PIDs for the RIMS and BK are the new SWA-2451's from Auber. They have an integrated timer in them. They are set so when the temp of the wort reaches the set point the timer starts to count down, regardless of the temp. When the timer expires the heat is cut and the alarm will sound. The timer requires an NC circuit, so to reset the timer and alarm the switch is turned off (open circuit) and then back on. It's only a single stage timer so it should work very well for the RIMS and ok for the BK. I'll just have to set the times correctly for the hops additions.

No holes are punched yet for these controls. I haven't decided if I should switch the row of element switches with the row of timer reset switches. What do you think? I'm open to ideas and discussing with you guys will help me think through it.

Quick Reply