Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Dual Enclosure Electric System

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
TomDaniels
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dual Enclosure Electric System

I'm a Computer Engineer and I'm planning out an electric system on the cheap. At least, an Electric HLT and Kettle. (20 Gallon for the kettle and MLT. 15 Gallon for the HLT).

Anyway, I'm thinking the following: Put all the 220 wiring into its own enclosure and then put the control system (Raspberry PI or Arduino) into its own separate enclosure.

Two 1-wire buses would leave the control panel. One would be the measurement bus running out to the pots. The other would be the control bus which would run into the 220 V enclosure and would use a PIO chips and some support circuitry to control the SSRs.

I guess my goal is to isolate the "kill you dead" stuff from the control system as much as possible. I might even opto-isolate the 220V enclosure from the control bus if 1-wire supports it.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here. Anybody do something like this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I think that's a pretty good idea myself.

You could also add a wireless dongle to the Raspberry Pi and use your smartphone as the input/output device.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
stevehaun
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If I were to build my system again, I would definitely have two panels. One with all the 240 vac stuff, e.g., SSRs, contactors, distribution blocks, breakers, fuses, etc. and another for all the low voltage controls, e.g., PIDs, switches, etc. I think it would be more simple and more safe. YMMV.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
LKHA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

it still all comes together some where, I see so many built where there is a high probably of splash or spills be careful and think it thru.

I have seem some TERRIBLE advice on here in the past few months. I may even be guilty of bad advice myself.

Quick Reply