The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Dual 2000W 120V Recirculating eBIAB Build

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #81
moclamd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 17
Default

Thanks for the response. The outlets in my planned brewery area aren't wired yet so I will just get two GFCI outlets for them. I was just hoping to cut costs a bit, but proper GFCI protection is worth a little extra money.

__________________
moclamd is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #82
globe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
globe's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 77
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Sorry if this has been covered...but what is it like brewing with this indoors? Do you have problems with condensation? Do you need a lot of air flow?

__________________
globe is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #83
russki
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 132
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe View Post
Sorry if this has been covered...but what is it like brewing with this indoors? Do you have problems with condensation? Do you need a lot of air flow?
I brew in the kitchen without any extra ventilation; never had any problems with condensation. But then I do have 9ft ceilings, and air in my house is pretty dry (under 30% humidity), so it just acts as a giant humidifier. It's not much different than stovetop brewing in terms of humidity.
russki is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #84
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Weezy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 974
Liked 129 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Default

Condensation? As long as you're not brewing in a especially tiny room, it's fine. The people who really run into problems are running much bigger rigs and bigger batches, with a lot more boil off and evaporation.

__________________
Weezy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #85
raney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Question

sorry to revive an old thread...but I am having problems understanding exactly why the contactors are necessary. Why couldn't I just place the power switches/buttons between the PID and each SSR and leave out contactors? or even between the SSR and element? Are they really needed? i have been reading around quite a bit and just don't seem to understand. Thanks for the help

__________________
raney is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #86
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,231
Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raney View Post
sorry to revive an old thread...but I am having problems understanding exactly why the contactors are necessary. Why couldn't I just place the power switches/buttons between the PID and each SSR and leave out contactors? or even between the SSR and element? Are they really needed? i have been reading around quite a bit and just don't seem to understand. Thanks for the help
Which diagram are you referencing? A link would help a lot.

P-J
__________________
P-J is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #87
raney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

hey thanks for the quick reply! I am planning on using the 2-element 120V diagram from the first post in this thread

__________________
raney is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #88
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,231
Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raney View Post
sorry to revive an old thread...but I am having problems understanding exactly why the contactors are necessary. Why couldn't I just place the power switches/buttons between the PID and each SSR and leave out contactors? or even between the SSR and element? Are they really needed? i have been reading around quite a bit and just don't seem to understand. Thanks for the help
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Which diagram are you referencing? A link would help a lot.

P-J
Quote:
Originally Posted by raney View Post
hey thanks for the quick reply! I am planning on using the 2-element 120V diagram from the first post in this thread

Ok, got it. The contactors are in place due to the fact that the switches involved cannot handle the current draw to drectly energize the heating elements. The elements draw 17A and the switches wanted for the original design cannot handle that current draw.

It is all about design choices for the person wanting to do an E-Brew set up. Generally they spell it out and I take the time to draw a diagram to help them.

P-J
__________________
P-J is offline
raney Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #89
raney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 25
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thumbs up

Okay thanks P-J! That makes sense now. Thanks for everything - I've learned a ton from all of your diagrams (and I'm sure everyone else has too!)

__________________
raney is offline
P-J Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #90
HopRodGR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 121
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

P-J,

I'm still looking to start my dual 2000w control panel, hopefully soon.

I'll be honest, I'm not hooked on any particular design, I just want functionality. That being said, if the contactors are there only because of the choice of the pushbutton switches, do you have a drawing that uses switches that can handle the load going to the elements, which if I'm understanding correctly, eliminates the need for the contactors? Seems as though that would free up space in the control box and simplify the wiring.


Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
Ok, got it. The contactors are in place due to the fact that the switches involved cannot handle the current draw to drectly energize the heating elements. The elements draw 17A and the switches wanted for the original design cannot handle that current draw. It is all about design choices for the person wanting to do an E-Brew set up. Generally they spell it out and I take the time to draw a diagram to help them. P-J
__________________
HopRodGR is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual 120v 2000w recirculating EBIAB Build tyfernandez Electric Brewing 25 03-22-2013 02:32 AM
120V, 20 amps, 2000w? Airborneguy Electric Brewing 12 12-30-2012 03:44 PM
120V 2000W heatstick V1.0 Malric DIY Projects 6 12-30-2012 09:16 AM
WTB (Want To Buy) - 120V 2000W element Gabrew For Sale 0 09-24-2012 09:47 PM
My 5+ Gallon 120v eBIAB Rig (Build / Pics) seatbelt123 Electric Brewing 11 08-22-2012 02:28 AM