The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Dual 2000W 120V Recirculating eBIAB Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #81
moclamd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for the response. The outlets in my planned brewery area aren't wired yet so I will just get two GFCI outlets for them. I was just hoping to cut costs a bit, but proper GFCI protection is worth a little extra money.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #82
globe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry if this has been covered...but what is it like brewing with this indoors? Do you have problems with condensation? Do you need a lot of air flow?

Old 10-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #83
russki
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe View Post
Sorry if this has been covered...but what is it like brewing with this indoors? Do you have problems with condensation? Do you need a lot of air flow?
I brew in the kitchen without any extra ventilation; never had any problems with condensation. But then I do have 9ft ceilings, and air in my house is pretty dry (under 30% humidity), so it just acts as a giant humidifier. It's not much different than stovetop brewing in terms of humidity.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #84
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Condensation? As long as you're not brewing in a especially tiny room, it's fine. The people who really run into problems are running much bigger rigs and bigger batches, with a lot more boil off and evaporation.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #85
raney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Question

sorry to revive an old thread...but I am having problems understanding exactly why the contactors are necessary. Why couldn't I just place the power switches/buttons between the PID and each SSR and leave out contactors? or even between the SSR and element? Are they really needed? i have been reading around quite a bit and just don't seem to understand. Thanks for the help

Old 12-02-2013, 12:00 AM   #86
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by raney View Post
sorry to revive an old thread...but I am having problems understanding exactly why the contactors are necessary. Why couldn't I just place the power switches/buttons between the PID and each SSR and leave out contactors? or even between the SSR and element? Are they really needed? i have been reading around quite a bit and just don't seem to understand. Thanks for the help
Which diagram are you referencing? A link would help a lot.

P-J

Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #87
raney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hey thanks for the quick reply! I am planning on using the 2-element 120V diagram from the first post in this thread

Old 12-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #88
P-J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 430

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Which diagram are you referencing? A link would help a lot.

P-J
Quote:
hey thanks for the quick reply! I am planning on using the 2-element 120V diagram from the first post in this thread

Ok, got it. The contactors are in place due to the fact that the switches involved cannot handle the current draw to drectly energize the heating elements. The elements draw 17A and the switches wanted for the original design cannot handle that current draw.

It is all about design choices for the person wanting to do an E-Brew set up. Generally they spell it out and I take the time to draw a diagram to help them.

P-J
Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #89
raney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thumbs up

Okay thanks P-J! That makes sense now. Thanks for everything - I've learned a ton from all of your diagrams (and I'm sure everyone else has too!)

Old 12-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #90
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

P-J,

I'm still looking to start my dual 2000w control panel, hopefully soon.

I'll be honest, I'm not hooked on any particular design, I just want functionality. That being said, if the contactors are there only because of the choice of the pushbutton switches, do you have a drawing that uses switches that can handle the load going to the elements, which if I'm understanding correctly, eliminates the need for the contactors? Seems as though that would free up space in the control box and simplify the wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J
Ok, got it. The contactors are in place due to the fact that the switches involved cannot handle the current draw to drectly energize the heating elements. The elements draw 17A and the switches wanted for the original design cannot handle that current draw. It is all about design choices for the person wanting to do an E-Brew set up. Generally they spell it out and I take the time to draw a diagram to help them. P-J

Quick Reply