thantos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Dry element question

Hi all,
I posted this elsewhere and thought it would be better here, so it might not hijack another thread.

I have been reading for days about going electric and am seriously considering a major build. My question is are all of these elements meant to be submersed in liquid or are there elements that you can use dry? The reason I ask is I think I have a different way of using an element (dry) than anything I have seen so far, and what comes to mind is the old electric stove top or oven elements. They seem to work fine dry for hours on end, could this be done with the hot water style or would they just burn themselves up, or do they make a hot water style that can be used dry? Someone posted the link below but it does not say if this element can be used dry? I have attached a chicken scratch drawing of what I am thinking of trying in hopes it helps out. If this is a complete noob question I apologize as going electric is completely new to me, been a gas man for the last 20 years!
Thanks in advance...

http://www.brew-magic.com/bm_part_element.html

element.jpg  

"I love the Devil, Cause the Devil is Rock n Roll ! ! !"

Last edited by thantos; 01-25-2011 at 05:04 AM. Reason: spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 AM   #2
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 145

I don't exactly understand why you're trying to do it that way, but the heat transfer through air would be terrible. Why do you not want the element in the liquid? That is one of the major benefits of electric heating as it allows for very good energy transfer efficiency.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

They sell pipe immersion heaters where the element is encased inside a tube. Usually used for heating things that are harder to heat than water or wort, like sugar, etc.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Do an ebay search for "Cartridge Heater". You may be able to use one or several of those to do this.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply