Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Done with Electric Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Done with Electric Brewing

I have been brewing for the past year with a E-Keggle. Nothing fancy just 2 1500 watt elements running off of two separate breakers. I have officially dumped 4 batches of beer because they tasted like a big liquid ash tray. Anyways the 3 I was using HWD elements. Fine, so I switched them out to ULWD elements a few weeks ago. Brewed a basic pale ale yesterday and again a complete ashtray. I always scrubbed the elements clean after each brew... I'm at a loss. I wouldnt think 1500 watts would be enough to scorch wort especially using ULWD elements. Any advice? I already ordered a 12 gallon SS pot and turkey fryer but I can still use my ekeg for sparge and mash water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3699 Times on 2277 Posts
Likes Given: 3204

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
I have been brewing for the past year with a E-Keggle. Nothing fancy just 2 1500 watt elements running off of two separate breakers. I have officially dumped 4 batches of beer because they tasted like a big liquid ash tray. Anyways the 3 I was using HWD elements. Fine, so I switched them out to ULWD elements a few weeks ago. Brewed a basic pale ale yesterday and again a complete ashtray. I always scrubbed the elements clean after each brew... I'm at a loss. I wouldnt think 1500 watts would be enough to scorch wort especially using ULWD elements. Any advice? I already ordered a 12 gallon SS pot and turkey fryer but I can still use my ekeg for sparge and mash water.
Odd. I've made a lot of beer with my 5500W element (built in 2009). Never had that issue, even once. I make lots of pilsners, too, so I'm sure it would be detectable. I'd love to give you some advice here, but if you tried different elements then I've got nothing.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

Yeah, I'm honestly stumped as well. These new ULWD elements had wort scorched to it so bad that I literally had to use a dremel with a wire disc brush to bust it off as soaking in the oxyclean did nothing.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3699 Times on 2277 Posts
Likes Given: 3204

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyBrew View Post
Yeah, I'm honestly stumped as well. These new ULWD elements had wort scorched to it so bad that I literally had to use a dremel with a wire disc brush to bust it off as soaking in the oxyclean did nothing.
After 4 years I do have a hard coating of scorched "something" on my elements. Sometimes, I can knock thick flakes off the elements, but mostly I just ignore it. After abusing these things for so long, including some dry-firing accidents, I can't believe they are still kicking.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Nashbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use a heat stick to help my stove/burner along. I had this once and either I didn't clean my element enough, or I had too much particulate in the beer from the sparge as I was having bad stuck sparge issues and didn't vorlauf to try to keep it from setting up. Is your wort nice and clear?

Old 06-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
BradleyBrew
Recipes 

the wort was "ok" as far as clarity. This batch was about 30% rye which may have contributed to the scorching. If this was the 1st batch I would over look it but I've dumped over $100 in beer and 20 hours of time wasted. Not sure what i'm trying to get out of this thread just frustrating. I appreciate the feedback.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 329 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I'm building my electric brewery right now, so I don't have hands on experience with it...but, there is every indication that it works. I have helped brew on a 7BBL system that is fired with electric elements (10-11k IIRC) and those don't scorch either. I understand that it can be extremely frustrating trying to figure out what is going wrong when something should be working, I would be annoyed to. But, perhaps we can help you find the gremlin in your system.

A couple of questions, what element are you using (brand, coating type)? Have you tested your voltage and amperage that is getting to the elements? Are you doing full wort boils or highly concentrated boils? Those are the thoughts off the top of my head, but there are some folks here who really know electrical systems that will be of much greater trouble shooting help...

Old 06-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Is this the ULWD element that your used? If so, it's not ULWD!

Camco 02852/02853 1500W 120V Screw-In Lime Life Foldback Water Heater Element - Ultra Low Watt Density

Billy-Klubb

Old 06-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
After 4 years I do have a hard coating of scorched "something" on my elements. Sometimes, I can knock thick flakes off the elements, but mostly I just ignore it. After abusing these things for so long, including some dry-firing accidents, I can't believe they are still kicking.
Identical experience here. No ill effects.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
Indian_villager
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Is this the ULWD element that your used? If so, it's not ULWD!

Camco 02852/02853 1500W 120V Screw-In Lime Life Foldback Water Heater Element - Ultra Low Watt Density
Then what is it? I'm using one of those and a standard watt density one from HD in my kettle and it runs just fine. No scorched wort yet...

Quick Reply