Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Docbruw's E-HERMS build (yup another one)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Docbruw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Docbruw's E-HERMS build (yup another one)

Well I've been browsing this electric brewing section for a long time now. Researched all the regular electric brewing sites. Watched all the you tube videos I could fine. Saved most of my beer brewing money and slowly purchased all the pieces and parts I would need to upgrade my brew house to electric. I big thanks to: Kal and theelectricbrewery.com, Bobby and all his stainless parts at brewhardware.com and Ryan at ebrewsupply.com. I also have to mention Hunter306 and his build as I "borrowed" a lot of his layout mainly because it was exactly what I was looking at doing anyway.

Last summer I upgraded all my keggles to full stainless and got rid of all the weldless fittings I had and silver soldered all couplers in. These are Bobby's 1.5" tri-clover silver solder element mounts. I will be polishing the bottom of the kettle once I'm full electric.

I got in on the HD copper close out. 50' HERMS coil installed in the HLT.

Got to say I'm very impressed by the packaging that Ryan @ ebrewsuppy did. Both packages are wrapped in shrink wrap. Nice and neat so nothing was rattling around in the box when I received it. That's the DIY 50amp PID kit.

And the big shot! Everything laid out on the table. This is everything from the pumps ,20' of 6/3 wire for the spa panel wiring to the crimps, temp probes and SSR heat sink. Sorry for the bad picture I had to do a panorama shot.

Here is the panel layout. It's Kal's layout with a few minor tweaks. Since I'm not using the panel timer I only have 3 holes for the PIDs. I'm also not using separate volt and amp meters. BTW that 7/8" q-max punch was the best $15 I spent on this build.

Primed and ready for paint. I used a jig saw with a metal blade to cut the PID and ammeter holes.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
Docbruw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Testing the inside panel layout. Ebay heat sink and SSRs mounted.

88lb. Flat panel TV mount attached to the back. My favorite color is blue and so is the panel.

I didn't feel my pumps needed the extra expense of the twist locks so a regular 15amp outlet was used. I also couldn't justify the cost of the 50amp main connector so it's going to be hard wired.

Took a break and wired up the elements, cables and plugs.

Panel components mounted and installed.

Some of you may notice. The element contactors are not 25amp. Those would be 63amp. Props to Electric Brewing Supply again. If I had to guess they were out of the 25amp contactors when I ordered so they upgraded these to big ones to get my order sent out.

Ground wires installed and most of the 10g high current wires run.

6g wire is not fun to work with. I also reworked the 10g wiring to the SSRs.

Door wiring. I've reworked it a few times since this picture. BTW that's a 1a fuse protecting all 3 PIDs. I don't think I need one for each one.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
Docbruw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ran the 6/3+g wire from the main panel to my spa panel this past weekend.

NOTICE: This main is turned off when this work was being done. 50 amp breaker installed on the bottom left.

Panel plugged in and tested for the first time.

Yes I am getting 248 volts to the panel. Voltage in the main panel was 249 with my multimeter. The voltage at the panel bounces between 248 & 249.

Labels added.

The only thing I have left to do is tidy up the wiring inside the panel. I wanted to get my 220 outlet installed so I could test the panel before finalizing the wiring.

I did get antsy and had to test it out. Plus I needed to configure the PIDs so I put 5 gallons of water in the kettle and set the PID at 150F and off it went. This also gave me time to run auto tune on the PID. I was very surprised how fast it took 50f water to 150f and then to boiling.

Up next: Brew stand. Nothing has been purchased for this yet but I've got a good idea what I want it to look like. I'm also on the hunt for a utility sink also.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
Rockn_M
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm in the process of building my brewstand now. Should be finished sanding and staining by this weekend. Hopefully in a few weeks I can install my utility sink. Then it's time to start the enclosure.

Your enclosure looks really good!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
mbbransc
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

I'm super impressed when I see builds like these. Maybe one day I'll have the extra time, energy and money to dedicate towards a project similar. At least, that's the dream. Well done! It looks awesome.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
Docbruw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks. I made the decision to start down this path almost a year ago. It took me some time and decide on what type of system I wanted and where to source everything. The longest part was slowly gathering parts. Once I had everything it only took about a week to do the panel and wire the 220. With some luck my honee-do list will be short enough this weekend I can build the stand. I need to brew I'm getting low on beer.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
Docbruw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockn_M View Post
I'm in the process of building my brewstand now. Should be finished sanding and staining by this weekend. Hopefully in a few weeks I can install my utility sink. Then it's time to start the enclosure.

Your enclosure looks really good!

What kind of stand are you building? Any pictures or a thread to check out?

Old 03-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #8
Rockn_M
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 96 Posts

I'm modeling everything after http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

I finished sanding the stand down last night. I'm sure my neighboors really enjoyed the electric sander going off till about 10PM. Hopefully I can start staining tonight and then add the tops and finish the weekend.

bench.jpg  

Old 03-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
Docbruw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ahh excellent. I'm using the same design but with a few changes. I'm going to lower the height of it so I can just see into my kettles. I'm also going to extend the back two corner legs up to just over the height of my kettles. One, I want to hard plumb water lines into the stand and run up the arms so I can fill/clean the boil, HLT and the chiller. Second, that flat panel TV mount will get attached to the right side arm to hold the panel. Which I can't say is a new idea I borrowed it from a forum member cheez. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/e-herms-build-50-amp-393717/index2.html#post5304051

Old 03-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
hunter306
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Looking great Docubrew, Nice work on the panel!

Subscribed

keg 3: Java-Chocolate Stout (7.8%) | keg 4:Mt Hood Pils (5.8%)
Check out my electric brewery!

Quick Reply