Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Do you really need a control panel for e-kettle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
lafolielapper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Do you really need a control panel for e-kettle?

So, yeah, if I really don't feel like spending the money, is there anything wrong with just letting a 240 5500W element just go full blast without a control panel for my 5.25 and 10.5 gallon batches?

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/heating-element-kits

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
wubears71
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

It will get too hot.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
DustBow
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

At the very least use a PWM. You can also build a pretty simple PID box without all the flashy bells and whistles and lights.

"Brewing beer is neither complicated nor expensive. It's the responsibility of the brewer to make it as complicated and expensive as their spouse & budget will allow."

Old 04-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Mightyscoop
Recipes 

If you're hell-bent on not building any sort of controls you may be better off forgetting about 10g batches and just going with a 2000W-ish 120V element for 5g batches. You could run that full blast and not really worry about having to control its output. That or a PWM build like DustBow has suggested.

Just my $0.02

Old 04-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
DaleHair
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You can use boil a 10g batch just fine with one 3000w element, some use two 3000w elements to get to a boil and one to mantain the boil.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The Electric Brewery is great but it's a Cadillac. You can do a panel for much cheaper. You'll probably going to want something to control your element. There are lots of toolbox threads for pumps and PIDs. There are also a few DIY PWM threads where you control the output of your element with a dial. There are much cheaper and simpler solutions out there. Just make sure you keep it safe.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
EarthBound
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBow View Post
At the very least use a PWM. You can also build a pretty simple PID box without all the flashy bells and whistles and lights.
+1

A PWM circuit is pathetically easy to build and it'll give you excellent control of the element.

"You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and an endless supply of beer."

Old 04-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
lafolielapper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

so a single low density 3000W 240V heater element for a range between 5-10 gallon batches should be fine. I'm not super electrical savvy, and I am confused why there isn't just some kind of dial that I can hook up to the element (like how a stovetop works) without it looking like a bunch of wires and 9v batteries (ghetto rigged). I do not need it to be controlled via a temp controller, just manually by a dial what are my options. thanks.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #9
DaleHair
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I know one 3000w element in a keggle will boil a 10g batch just fine, you could use a 3000w and a 2000w or 2500w. Then you can use both for getting to a boil and one or the oher depending on batch size. I do not know what size is best for a 5g batch. One advantage of using a set heat input is a consistent boiloff rate.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #10
lafolielapper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

so I am contemplating making the leap into electric brewing since I intend to move to MN here in a few months, and with electric, my brewing season doesn't need to be limited by the typical Minnesota winter weather.

With that said, I am very confused. Everyone says to use a GFCI breaker when going electric, but when I am researching, I am confused what items I need to actually be able to use my setup with a GFCI circuit.

My plan is to use this controller (http://www.highgravitybrew.com/produ...r-306p3084.htm) Don't hate, I'd rather spend the money and have it done right then have a cheapo DIY PWM type setup that I might just screw up anyway. I will also use this element (http://www.highgravitybrew.com/produ...S-306p2669.htm).

My confusion comes from the fact that with the controller, I have the choice of a 3 or 4 wire model for the controller, and since everyone says I'd be stupid not to use GFCI when doing e-brewing, then I obviously must use the 4 wire version. However, the element only comes in a 3 prong variant. I am confused...if the heater is only 3 prong, but the controller is a 4-wire setup, and connected to a GFCI breaker, am I still protected?

Also, since I plan on having my dad (electrician) put the 220V 30A drop in the garage, I assume that this can only be the 4-prong outlet or else it would not be truly GFCI protected? Damn I'm dumb.

Quick Reply