Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Do the legs need to be balanced?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
GRHunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Do the legs need to be balanced?

As I split my 240v line 1 and line 2 into 120v legs is it important to try and balance the draw? As someone who only plays an electrician on the Internet it seems like balancing the draw on line 1 and line 2 would be a good thing. But before I wasted too much time worrying about it, and in the interest of expanding my electrical knowledge, I thought I would ask the question in here.

In my initial system build I don't think that this will be a major issue as the only 120v items will be my contactor, my PID, and 1 flasher/alarm. But as my system grows and evolves I am concerned that it might become an issue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
ControlTech
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Balancing the loads would be best. It is not required. You will not achieve a true balance, just try to keep the amp draw on each leg close to the same. I assume this all fed from one double pole breaker. Keeping things balanced will keep the amp draw on both legs of the breaker roughly the same, in case of an over current issue.

"the only 120v items will be my contactor, my PID, and 1 flasher/alarm" None these will draw much amperage.

And never under estimate the importance of grounding!

Hope this helps.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply