Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Do I need a fuse??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Do I need a fuse??

I recently created a control panel and wired a switch in front of the PID. I'm wondering if I need a fuse. I've seen some people recommend this in reading around the board. I pretty much followed the RIMS for Dummies wiring diagram.

I can post a pic of my wiring schematic, but I thought it might not be necessary for the question. Do I need a fuse to protect the pid?

Thanks.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
dobeluvr
Recipes 

The fuse is cheap and is designed to sacrifice itself to protect the pid. If you was to ever have a problem would you rather change the fuse or the pid. Either way will work fine.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
I recently created a control panel and wired a switch in front of the PID. I'm wondering if I need a fuse. I've seen some people recommend this in reading around the board. I pretty much followed the RIMS for Dummies wiring diagram.

I can post a pic of my wiring schematic, but I thought it might not be necessary for the question. Do I need a fuse to protect the pid?

Thanks.
You would want a fuse to protect the wiring to the PID. Suppose the wire feeding the PID comes loose and touches ground, a low amperage fuse will protect the wire from burning and setting the control panel on fire. If the PID all of a sudden starts drawing excess current, then it is already broken, but the fuse will protect the wiring to it.

I am going to have my lower power stuff on one 5A circuit breaker in the control panel, protecting 14 AWG wiring, and then a smaller one for the transformer. Others have multiple circuit breakers, one for each load, sometimes serving as switches also. It really is up to you.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 11-29-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I actually wired the PID with 12awg wire. So if there is no need to protect a wire not rated for the outlet's full amperage there is no need for a fuse?

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 AM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 636 Times on 399 Posts
Likes Given: 58

You probably don't need a fuse. You will probably wish you'd installed one if the need arises.

From a less philosophical standpoint - if it's ok to pump 15-20 amps through whatever that wire may contact, then it's ok not to install a fuse. The receptacle's existing circuit breaker will do its job.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS