The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > DIY element guard on the cheap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
Mannelito
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default DIY element guard on the cheap

I'm looking into building my own element guard but I'm a bit uncertain about how good of an idea it is. The option I'm considering is taking a 2" TC end cap (red), drill a hole in it and then go for a regular 1" NPT heating element (teal), fixed with a locknut (grey).

Seeing as this is a commonly used method for attaching heating elements to kettles, I thought this might work too. Any yay or nay-sayers out there?

/Manne

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Ok, so you would then have a 2" TC flat against the pot. What next? You can't get a TC clamp on that flange since it's too close to the pot.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish. I also see you said cheap, in my experience triclover fittings don't fit that description.

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Old 05-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #4
Jawbox0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Honestly, it's a solved problem for $30 you can get a nicely made weldless enclosure including stainless locknut from brew hardware. I'm super happy with mine:
http://www.brewhardware.com/rimsherm...6-elementparts

I did the DIY weldless before this on a different pot, and I'm way happier with this enclosure.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:46 PM   #5
Mannelito
Recipes 

I now realize that things in my head are not as obvious to others as they are to me, sorry about that.
On the kettle there will be a welded 2" TC ferrule, so you put this end-cap thing on with a gasket in between, slap a clamp on it and hopefully it doesn't leak.

Something similar to this, the pot is absent.

A friend of mine got some welding equipment, so making an element guard on my own would prove a lot cheaper than buying a pre-made one. However, if it doesn't work, then it would be pointless and a waste of time.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #6
Mannelito
Recipes 

Quote:
Honestly, it's a solved problem for $30 you can get a nicely made weldless enclosure including stainless locknut from brew hardware. I'm super happy with mine:
http://www.brewhardware.com/rimsherm...6-elementparts

I did the DIY weldless before this on a different pot, and I'm way happier with this enclosure.

You are probably right. I'm thinking it'll be easier, better and mostly of all safer to buy one. Still, I'm curious to know if this idea works.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:02 AM   #7
LordUlrich
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Should work as for connecting it to your kettle, although it does not seems to help you guard the electrical end of your element though.

Don't take any more faith in anything I say than you would anyone else on the internet. If you listen to what I say, then hurt your self or break something it is your own fault, I am just expressing my opinion or experience.
THINK for your self!!

Old 05-19-2014, 01:42 AM   #8
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Why not just use a TC x 1" NPT adaptor? That is what you are accomplising in your OP (maybe a little longer using the adapter).
Plus your design still needs to include an enclosure around the element terminals. Realisitcally you are not going to be able to make it all for much less (if any) than $30

Old 05-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
Mannelito
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2 View Post
Why not just use a TC x 1" NPT adaptor? That is what you are accomplising in your OP (maybe a little longer using the adapter).
Plus your design still needs to include an enclosure around the element terminals. Realisitcally you are not going to be able to make it all for much less (if any) than $30

You're right, however, after freight+import taxes, it gets expensive. The one prefab option I'm seriously considering is from Stilldragon.EU. 3 units+shipping is USD$200. It's a sturdy unit, so I guess the price is right.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
wbarber69
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

I use the brewhardware.com option. It comes with either a 2" or 1.5" triclover option. And it can't be beat for the price. It'll probably cost around 200 for 3 with shipping to the eu. Plus u get great customer service from bobby.

Quick Reply