Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Direct Brew Kettle Ventilation - No Hood

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
Chemkrafty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Direct Brew Kettle Ventilation - No Hood

I thought I would post here since most of the ventilation threads apply to coming indoors with electric brewing as I am doing. Currently I am just hijacking the kitchen like back in the day with a basic extract on the stove. It got me thinking how to remove the moisture if I move to the basement.

I see lots of folks install hoods above the brewing area and that requires a ton of air flow to capture a good portion of the moisture. I was thinking about industrial brewing and how they can be covered and use a port to vent the moisture.

SOOOO...what I was thinking is why not attach a flex hose the BK lid creating the vent for the boil. An additional hole could be created for makeup air to come in. You would still capture the DMS and blow that off and also capture the ,oisture directly and remove that. For the few times you need to remove it to stir, add hops, etc, it should not generate enough moisture to be a problem.

Anyone try this? I would love to hear whether or not anyone has made something like this work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

How would you keep the condensate from dripping back off the vent tube into the boil? That tube would get nasty pretty quickly and cleaning might be difficult.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Since I moving to my 10x10 shed next spring I am interested in any topics concerning ventilation!!!

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #4
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Are you still going to use a blower to pull steam and air out? Or just let the steam do the work?

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:35 AM   #5
Chemkrafty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
How would you keep the condensate from dripping back off the vent tube into the boil? That tube would get nasty pretty quickly and cleaning might be difficult.
Good point...I wonder how the big guys do it? I would think its possible to mitigate that if the vent dips down right away, making the low point NOT the kettle. I'm sure there's some way to make it easier to clean.

I just see hoods as being inefficient. I'll have to see if I can find a book on industrial brewing equipment to see how they manage this.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:47 AM   #6
Chemkrafty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'd still put a blower in-line to get that air moving. It would just require a smaller unit and be more focused.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know why a smaller "hood" directly on the kettle won't work.

I'm doing something similar. I just this weekend fabbed up a cone to go on a 4"->6" expander. The cone is 6" at the top to fit on the expander, 15" at the bottom to be as wide as the keggle, and 7" tall. I'm using a smaller squirrel cage blower to pull air through it. I'll either have it in intimate contact with the keggle, (it fits JUST inside the rim with the handles on it), or an inch or two above. My thoughts were the same as yours - big industrial kettles have conical tops that go into vents, why not mine?

As for condensation, I'm hoping it won't be a huge problem. With such a concentrated flow of steam and air, the ducting should heat up quickly, meaning the steam won't be likely to condense much on it especially with a high amount of forced air flow, (on a hood, there's a lot more surface area, so it doesn't heat up as much, stays cool, and condenses water back down). I'm thinking it won't be an issue....and I can always run the fan for 30 minutes or so after I chill (or while I chill), to remove any excess moisture from the system.

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
gunner65
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

This is what I am looking at would have to brew close to it but I know these move a lot of air.

J&D 10 Inch Shutter Fan With Cord

Single Vessel BIAB is all I need....Until we figure out the no vessel technique.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would think if your hood/ cover was slightly larger than your pot (maybe 1" diameter) then your condensation would fall outside the pot and you would have a place for makeup air to come from. As for cleaning I wouldnt think it would be too bad as long as its smooth. The large "off the shelf" brew houses the hood is also jacketed with steam so they dont condence.

Jeremy @ Lucky Chicken Brewery

Electric Build

Kegerator build

Old 12-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Chemkrafty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Great ideas... I am actually liking the idea of the slightly larger conical top to eliminate the condensation issue and allow for makeup air. That may be the ticket versus a huge overhead hood. I bet you can run significantly lower CFM with a direct draw system than the overhead hood and save some $$ on the fan...especially if the makeup air is flowing up and around the BK directing steam into the system.

Quick Reply