Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Different E-Brewery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
ddahl84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've decided to post my electric brewery because its a little different than anything else out there. My setup is 3000w 120v single element, "Brutus 20" two tier, gravity and one pump system. I took in a lot of info from all the BIAB systems and incorporated them into a batch sparging setup. Instead of installing a 240v breaker I wanted to use a 30A 120v breaker already installed. I found that 3000w 120v water heater elements existed which would be perfect for the 5 gallon batches that I already do. I bought a inline gfci cord and then started piecing the rest together. It's very similar to the 20a 120v systems out there with the exceptions that I used 10g wiring, plugs and outlets rated for 30amps, and extra fuses going to the pid, pump and alarm.
I want to say thanks to everyone that posted there setups for inspiration and guidance, theelectricbrewery.com,, and especially P-J for all those amazing schematics. I don't think I would have ever attempted this without his help.
The stand was custom made for me from my brother in law.

image-2492968333.jpg

image-60171213.jpg

image-794532641.jpg

image-670958852.jpg

Edit: Here are a few more pics.

Automatic water control box and float switch.
image-1449064919.jpg

image-1402644492.jpg

Float switch for recirc pump to avoid overflow incase of stuck mash.
image-1497350753.jpg

1amp 10amp fuses, kettle element, inline GFCI protection
image-897992844.jpg

image-2220052730.jpg

image-3256270886.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
bigdubz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I like you're control panel, looks like what I am building for my ebiab setup. I love the look of Kal's setup, but I want to find a balance between having enough control (switches) and information (lights) to be safe and effective which going too far overboard.

Can you give some info on the enclosure you used? It looks like a plastic junction box to me.

Cheers,
Andrew

Old 01-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
sicklesr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Can you tell me more about your batch sparging method?

Heat strike water in HLT
Pump to Mash Tun
Rest for Mash Time
Return to Kettle

How many sparge additions do you do?
Where do you store additional sparge water?
How many runnings do you typically do, and when do you store the runnings?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but I'm interested in how batch sparging works with a 1 vessel/1 cooler setup! I'm not sure how to kettle/HLT can be used to heat sparge water AND collect runnings, but I'm sure I'm just missing something easy...

Primary || Hop Face Punch ||
Secondary || "Intentional" Sour Pumpkin Ale ||
Bottles || Big Brew Day Belgian, Apline Spring Clone, Rooibos Red Ale, Hudson Valley Hard Cider, "First" All Grain Stout, Rye Pale Ale ||

Old 01-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
ddahl84
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdubz
I like you're control panel, looks like what I am building for my ebiab setup. I love the look of Kal's setup, but I want to find a balance between having enough control (switches) and information (lights) to be safe and effective which going too far overboard.

Can you give some info on the enclosure you used? It looks like a plastic junction box to me.

Cheers,
Andrew

You are exactly right it is a plastic junction box 12"x12". I bought it at homedepot for around $30. I wanted to use plastic because its so easy to work with. I painted the front with Rust-Oleum Universal Hammered Paint and Primer in One. At first I wasn't sure if I was going to paint it but now I'm very happy I did. The switch tags are just printed out on printable sticky paper. I didn't go with a "safety kill switch" because the breaker is four feet away, but I do see how it could be handy if your not right next to the breaker.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
cupido76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nice idea... clean and simple.

To bigdubz: you can make it a bit cleaner and simpler looking by using the push-button illuminated switches from Auber. You need half as many holes drilled in the front that way.

I'll try to remember upload a picture, but I did something similar to this for my control box, but also added an extra indicator light for the element so I can visually see when it's being fired. So instead of 9 holes like above, I have 6. I put this all in an ammo can.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
ddahl84
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicklesr
Can you tell me more about your batch sparging method?

Heat strike water in HLT
Pump to Mash Tun
Rest for Mash Time
Return to Kettle

How many sparge additions do you do?
Where do you store additional sparge water?
How many runnings do you typically do, and when do you store the runnings?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but I'm interested in how batch sparging works with a 1 vessel/1 cooler setup! I'm not sure how to kettle/HLT can be used to heat sparge water AND collect runnings, but I'm sure I'm just missing something easy...
When I first saw two vessel systems I was pretty confused also. It's basically the "Brutus 20" except I also us gravity. What happens is in the BK I heat up mash water, pump to mash tun, rest. Then heat up more water in the BK/HLT and start draining the mash into the BK/HLT while at the same time recirculating back into the mash tun. So basically half the water is in the mash tun and half in the Bk/HLT during the recirc. Then once the Preboil gravity is correct, or close, stop the pump and drain into the BK to desired volume.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
ddahl84
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76
Nice idea... clean and simple.

To bigdubz: you can make it a bit cleaner and simpler looking by using the push-button illuminated switches from Auber. You need half as many holes drilled in the front that way.
I was going to go that route but decided I like the look of separate switches and lights like theelectricbrewery. Just a personal preference.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
theQ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I like this idea of working with 120V ... How much the panel components did cost you ?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
ddahl84
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theQ
I like this idea of working with 120V ... How much the panel components did cost you ?
For just the electronics from Auber it was $200 shipped. But I found out that the other smaller stuff adds up quick. I've been piecing it together over a few months so there wasn't a huge upfront cost, but plan on around $300-$400 overall. Even though it is 120v all the plugs and outlets have to be rated 30a. It's not the same outlet as in a standard home, It actually looks like 240v stuff.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
cupido76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddahl84 View Post
I was going to go that route but decided I like the look of separate switches and lights like theelectricbrewery. Just a personal preference.
Yup... and it looks great! I only went with the illuminated switches to have a chance at fitting it in an ammo can (which I already owned).

Quick Reply