Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > "Dial Type" controller for E Kettle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Ppeg34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default "Dial Type" controller for E Kettle

I want upgrade my kettle to an e kettle but am realizing how expensive it can be to make one that automatically controls temperature.

My question is: Is it a cheaper alternative to buy a "dial" to control the amount of electricity flowing to the heating element? If this is already covered I apologize.

Basically I envision: Outlet -> cord -> "dial" -> cord -> heating element mounted to kettle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppeg34 View Post
I want upgrade my kettle to an e kettle but am realizing how expensive it can be to make one that automatically controls temperature.

My question is: Is it a cheaper alternative to buy a "dial" to control the amount of electricity flowing to the heating element? If this is already covered I apologize.

Basically I envision: Outlet -> cord -> "dial" -> cord -> heating element mounted to kettle.
You can use a pulse width modulator and an SSR to give you some rough control. I use this to control the strength of my boil. That will save you on the order of $50.

Search for Pulse Width Modulator or PWM and you'll find some links.

I use a DIY one that I built out of off-the-shelf electronics pieces. There are also some PWM kits that others have found for like $10 or something.

The SSR can be gotten on ebay for $15 or less, depending on how much of a load you are driving with it.

What is your budget, and how much power are you looking for inside the e-kettle? Is it just for heating water and trying to maintain a temp, or is it for boiling in, too?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply