Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Decoction and scorching

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
Brewer Gerard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Decoction and scorching

I'm currently in the process of trying to make equipment that is capable of performing decoction mashes. Just wondering if any of you guys know about the possibilities of scorching the grain when you pull a decoction into an electric keggle.

My intention was wrap the two elements I intend to use in an aluminium mesh to prevent grain from sticking to them. Is this necessary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've been worried about burning so I'm really curious if this will work. I've only done one decoction since going electric and I used my electric stove top. Unfortunately it didn't give me the nice deep color and flavor that I wanted. Next time I'll dust off the old propane burner and do it on that.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #3
Brewer Gerard
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
I've been worried about burning so I'm really curious if this will work. I've only done one decoction since going electric and I used my electric stove top. Unfortunately it didn't give me the nice deep color and flavor that I wanted. Next time I'll dust off the old propane burner and do it on that.
The recipe that actually got me interested in performing a decoction mash was posted by KingBrianI who incidentally uses propane for heating his decoctions also. Thats why i came here to see did anybody have experience of going electric on decoction mashes

Quick Reply