dc to dc ssr question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
I have the mechanical and moving parts for a brew system that is similar to the new BrewEasy by Blichmann. It is a 10 gallon propane fired kettle that continuously recircs wort to a 7.5 gallon mashtun directly above the kettle which then drains back into the kettle via a bazooka screen.

I have the PID, the RTD, the float switch and pump all working well. The PID tells me what the temp of the wort is and the float switch keeps the pump from overflowing the mashtun. It works well and if you manually work the propane and watch the flow, its a great system.

BUT - I'd like to add a 120v heating element so that I can let the PID maintain the mash temp achieved by initially using propane. So I need a spot of electrical help. I think I can do it using the schematic below (JPEG and a PDF version are attached). I am wondering if the DC to DC SSR i have in the middle of the diagram is a good choice. Is there a dc to dc switch that is better suited to the job? The odd SSR is meant to keep the heater from firing if the pump is off. I just don't know a better way to do this at this time. Any comments or suggestions are aprpeciated. Thanks! N_G

View attachment ebrew schematic.pdf

ebrew schematic.jpg

I think the SSR's should be in parallel, not series. So take the output of the wall wart and the float switch directly to each SSR. Two individual paths, not a loop.

Hmm. Thanks for the input on wiring the SSRs. Is the DC to DC ssr viable in this situation?

Hmm. Thanks for the input on wiring the SSRs. Is the DC to DC ssr viable in this situation?

Should be, yes. You could use a mechanical relay for both as well. With as few cycles as they will see a mechanical relay will hold up fine. You could probably save some cash over SSR's.

Back