Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Critique my plans...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
MonkeyWrench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You're right SS. I will be editing the original picture tonight to represent SSRs, then re-drawing some items.

I will look into adding a contactor to cut total power to the elements as a final say as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #12
cappy
Recipes 

This is why I don't mess with anything electrical! Way over my head.

cappy

Old 11-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
MonkeyWrench
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Lol...ya, if it weren't for this board and people who know what they are doing, this project wouldn't get off the ground. I do have a friend who is an electrician, I plan to have him check over my work as well to make sure its safe.

I like stuff like this. It has always interested me. I was pretty close to going to ITT Tech for their EE program.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #14
MonkeyWrench
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Made some changes. Incorporated contactors for both elements as a final say safety.

I split the 2 RIMS elements into separate switched 120/N legs. As shown, each leg has it's own switched SPDT relay, however, I may just wire it with a single DPDT relay that would function the same. I haven't sourced all parts, so cost will be a factor.

Also added was the momentary power button and relay.

The switch that controls the relays that select 120/240 for the RIMS elements also controls the relay that selects 120/240 for the kettle. This will allow me to run the kettle in 120v mode while sparging without drawing too many amps. Sure I could simplify by having my RIMS contactor control switch also double as an lock out for the kettle when the RIMS is running, but I imagine I will be able to save some time heating (or maintaining) my runnings....maybe not???

My understanding of a 555 timer PWM board is that it needs to run on low voltage, but it seems like I've seen otherwise. Do I need that 12v transformer at all? Can I run it off of 120v? That would also simplify.

Also, sorry it's not of great quality, I'm by no means a professional.

Thanks!!!
Steve

rims-v1.3.jpg  

Old 11-13-2010, 06:38 AM   #15
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLight_Brewing View Post
Made some changes. Incorporated contactors for both elements as a final say safety.
Steve, you are doing a lot of stuff that I'm also planning to do, for example the interlocks preventing all elements to run at high power. You are a bit farther along than I because I don't have a schematic yet.

I get a little lost trying to figure out what you are trying to do. Perhaps having consumed several pints of 7% abv brown ale has something to do with it. I can see one thing though that is not going to work. The indicator lamps, for example the power-on lamp, cannot be connected in series with the contactor/relay coil, they should be connected in parallel with the coil.

Quote:
My understanding of a 555 timer PWM board is that it needs to run on low voltage, but it seems like I've seen otherwise. Do I need that 12v transformer at all? Can I run it off of 120v? That would also simplify.
It is not going to like 120VAC, guaranteed. The 555 will need something like 12VDC or less. I am not familiar with the details of this particular board, but I have used several 555 timers over the years and they are running from some low voltage DC, not AC.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Old 11-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #16
MonkeyWrench
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaffer View Post
Steve, you are doing a lot of stuff that I'm also planning to do, for example the interlocks preventing all elements to run at high power. You are a bit farther along than I because I don't have a schematic yet.

I get a little lost trying to figure out what you are trying to do. Perhaps having consumed several pints of 7% abv brown ale has something to do with it. I can see one thing though that is not going to work. The indicator lamps, for example the power-on lamp, cannot be connected in series with the contactor/relay coil, they should be connected in parallel with the coil.

It is not going to like 120VAC, guaranteed. The 555 will need something like 12VDC or less. I am not familiar with the details of this particular board, but I have used several 555 timers over the years and they are running from some low voltage DC, not AC.
After drawing this up, I see how complicated I've designed it. There are definitely areas where I can simplify.

I didn't know that about the lamps, are you talking about all of them not being able to be run in series? Guess I need to research 120 some more, I know in 12v apps, it would work. However, thinking about actually wiring the power on lamp, I would have to run a wire from the switches down off the door, to the relay, then back onto the door for the lamp. I will have to update that.

I'll have to also look at the 555 circuit. I thought they were only low voltage as well. With that 12v transformer, I could run all of my switches 12v and all of the relays/contactors could have a 12v coil. this would make the swap to BCS/Brewtroller easier if I ever went that route in the future.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:06 PM   #17
Quaffer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLight_Brewing View Post
I didn't know that about the lamps, are you talking about all of them not being able to be run in series? Guess I need to research 120 some more, I know in 12v apps, it would work.
Yes, had this been a DC system and the voltage was slightly high, say 14V, it would indeed work to have plain LEDs in series with the coils. I have done that, but you would have to check that the coil current is in a range usable by the LED. 120V AC lamps, even those made with LEDs, are made to run with the full system voltage so they need to be connected in parallel.

Alcohol, the source of - and solution to - all of life’s problems. H.J.S.
My keezer, My E-brewery build thread, How I soldered 1" nut for heater

Quick Reply