Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Craglist find. Is it Worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Kmcogar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Craglist find. Is it Worth it?

Electric Keg keggle Homebrew pot $250

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/d...659564256.html

Is this good deal? I'm thinking of going electric. It would be awesome.

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I wouldnt be able to use it with my old house electric system so its not a toy for me but 250 is a fair price, if you can cut, drill and weld the keg then you could DIY for less than that but if you have to pay someone to do that then it would be over 250 for sure

Old 03-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Yeah, I was just pricing out some stuff. I found a weldless kit for $20. The same type of heating elements for $70. I also found keg on Craigslist for $40. With the same set up, it would cost me about $220 in parts plus shipping if the parts.....I can cut and drill the holes myself. I have the tools for that. Im now thinking against the purchase

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
russki
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Hmm... looks familiar... I think this is it.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by russki View Post
Hmm... looks familiar... I think this is it.
what the builder says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emyers View Post
Pics. Yea... don't ask me why i put the elements so close to each other let alone vertical. Lets just call this 9000w Ekeggle beta. Plans are to sell this once i source more kegs. The next rig will have a bottom drain and two elements horizontally configured with tri clovers for easy removal and cleaning. Its a PITA moving and cleaning the keg with 7' x2 of power cord attached.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Not a bargain in my book. If you know enough about electrics to know whether or not he has done it right, you might as well build one yourself.

You might not need a power controller with this, but you do need 2x GFCI protected 240V outlets. Most people don't have that so the seller is in for a long wait.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 03-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #7
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Thanks for the info all. That is the keggle I am looking at. I'm still thinking about it

Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 AM   #8
BWN
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Just the cost of having to install two GFCI 240v outlets would make this too much.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #9
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 47

lets see:

keg - anywhere from 30 to 100 on craigslist - more from a legal distributor - lets call it 70
Angle grinder and cutoff wheels: cheap for under 30
decent hole saw or step bit - another 10-20( if you already have a drill)
2x heating elements - 35(camco 5500w are 21 each)
cords and plugs - $40
Welded couplings - cheapest I have seen is 25 per weld - there two I would have done here so - $50
valve kit: 25

I personally don't like the double element thing, but those are easy to get a seal for if you don't want one.

so, if the welds are good, the build isn't crap - that price isn't aweful. the pot seems like a weird configuration but you would spend a bunch more getting a megpot or blichman the same size.

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 AM   #10
alien
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Let's face it. There is not much of a market for high power electrical devices made at home by amateurs. Plus it's a weird design. The guy who built it basically admits as much in his build thread.

From the seller's POV, he is offering the thing more or less at cost to get materials to make something more suitable. He is not going to take a huge hit because he can reuse the bits if necessary. That's the most likely outcome because it won't sell unless he lucks out.

To the OP: personally I think this is a lemon, but if you decide this is what you want as opposed to what you can afford then wait 1 month and offer maybe 75% of the asking price and see what happens.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Quick Reply