Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Cost of a typical E-system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
ClemsonDV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Cost of a typical E-system

I haven't dived into any threads and honestly, I am probably not at the level to invest much money into it... BUT.... I am always like a kid in the candy store on HBT. I would love to make a system. Just not sure how much a typical system costs.

Refer me to another thread as I assume this has been asked. But I am somewhat newish to brewing but an electrical engineer. So i would obviously love to have an electric system. Thanks.

Up Next: Centennial Blonde

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #2
MuddyCreek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Take all the money you have... multiply it by 5, spend it on the best components you can find at the best price...

Then wish you had a larger, nicer system.

That's about it.

Our Lineup

Muddy Creek Chocolate Stout: So good we named the brewery after it!

Skinny Cow IPA: In India, cows are sacred, that doesn't mean they feed em...

Good Time Wheat Ale: Here I am, Havin' a Good Time!

No Paddle Amber Ale: Up the creek without a paddle, But Damn the beer is good!

Dirty Blonde Ale: You know you want one.

People Like This 
Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
theknub
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 61

lol @ muddy

im making the plunge right now. where all of this really gets you is the little things like nuts, washers, gaskets, t fittings, coils, etc. my builf is running about 350 over right now but it will be done with all quality components. this however also includes a new kettle and herms coil.

you can do it for as cheap as a dryer cord, element, cheap step bit, and some jb weld. it wouldn't be the safest or most accurate, but it is possible.

i think when all is said and done i'll be at about 1,000 including a kettle, pump, drill press (i wanted one and this was just an excuse). i didn't account for wiring properly and that added a hundo to the bill. however, i'm glad i have done it, i've learned quite a bit, and i simply enjoy this kind of thing.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
sTiNkFiZzle
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I finally have all my parts in...I have spent allot...I am scared to look to be honest. All I can say is do it to enjoy doing projects and hate refilling propane tanks. I haven't got to enjoy electric electric brewing yet...

Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #5
AllanMar
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Speaking as an EE also doing an electric build, be prepared to end up dropping alot more then you initially anticipated!

Old 02-28-2013, 01:28 AM   #6
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You can't really say "typical" because there are so many different styles of build. Even the Kal clones have variations with different price points. But that said, I can assist by giving you an actual number on an actual build:

The "Death Star" cost me something around $1500 to build, but that price is not "typical" as I won both pumps and had plenty of time to search out the best cost items on eBay.

The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tims-C...9089362?ref=hl

Old 02-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
ClemsonDV
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMar View Post
Speaking as an EE also doing an electric build, be prepared to end up dropping alot more then you initially anticipated!
Yea, that's what I am afraid of. I got that disease my wife has where she buys crap online and says "It was on sale". HBF and HBT have been killing my wallet. I recently split from 2 buddies who were bottling a 5 gallon batch. Yea about 14-18 beers for all that time and effort. So i split so I could brew and eventually keg. I bought like 3 chest freezers (sold one for profit) of CL and went bananas on making the collars and ordering all the parts. One is fermentor and one is keezer. I LOVED DOING THAT PROJECT. Made me watch the DIY network for at least a month and start investing in tool. Gonna eventually do some household wood working and DIY projects. So with the online shopping disease and my DIY bug, I need to chill and get back to brewing.

I had been doing DME, but bought a MLT and about to get in my valve setups today (YAY!!!). So before I go nuts and go into E-brewing, I should get some good runs with my current setup.

I have easily dropped $1G on brewing/kegging equipment and I have only done 3 kegs (Black IPA is almost through fermenting). SO i know the traps and pitfalls of spending money. I currently don't have kids so who knows what will happen when I get one of those rugrats to suck all my beer money away from me.

My next step is brew stand. I have 1 propane burner right now and a table.... that's it. I am looking into either doing a uni-strut build or finding a friend of a friend to weld me up something nice. Ebrewing can wait (or can it??). I just have too many hobbies and not enough $$$. Reminds me, I gotta go fix my golf swing.
Up Next: Centennial Blonde
theknub Likes This 
Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Some of the builds on this site are humungous achievements in terms of time effort and money, but it is also possible to start small. A cooler mash tun, a plastic bucket with heating elements in for a kettle/HLT, and you're away. If you feel the need you can add in pumps, PIDs and the like as you go along. But most brewers choose electricity for convenience and safety not because they want these extras.

There is great information on Kal's site but I wonder how many people start building a Kal clone from scratch and run out of motivation long before it is finished.

Arduino PID controller - Automatic Smoker - Cooler MLT - Counterflow Chiller - SSR demo - PWM timer - Folding Brew Table

Old 02-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 30

500 bucks including outrageous shipping out of country and a kettle. See my sig

Donor Fridge Fermentation Chamber

Old 02-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
bblack7489
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'll add in my two cents.

You can go slowly. I started with a single 8 gallon pot and a turkey fryer. I'd set pots and buckets on different stacks of things to get the right gravity feed. My first step into the e-brewing was when I realized that I hated watching the temp on my strike water, so I bought a keg and a 120V element from Home Depot.

If you go in small manageable chunks, you'll never be stuck long in a situation where you can't brew, and you'll also never have to fork over a huge sum of money at one time. You could probably squeak something out for under $1k, but most people are looking at the $2k ballpark

Also, the longest that I've been out of brewing commission by doing it this was was a span of a couple of months last summer when my company decided that it was a cool demo that they wanted to turn into something shiny on our tradeshow floor. It was a tradeoff I was happy to make!

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-24184

Quick Reply