Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Controller used for Big Green Egg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
lonepalm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Controller used for Big Green Egg

Just thinking this weekend that i want to build the control box really soon. But i thought i saw someone use theirs on here for their grill.

I want to setup the controller to maintain temp for me on my Big Green Egg as well as making some beers.

Thoughts? it would possibly have to be portable and potentially water proof.

This route would have a higher approval rating from the wife if i could build it for both, hands down

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I have an auber sous vide pid that I use for my RIMS which is 120v. I also have their smoker control.
Sous Vide Cooking : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

They have both electric and charcoal controllers:
Smoker Controllers : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #3
A4J
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I actually used my controller to sous vide a turkey on thanksgiving. I also plan on using this for a smoker. So, that's 3 things I'm using my controller for.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They are basically all the same controller. You would have to retune the controller obviously and change the settings since I assume the probe you are using is different. But they are all using a PID controller.

For the big green egg I assume you are going to use the PID to throttle a fan... If you want to have multiple uses for it, I would build a box with the PID and SSR + Heatsink in it and then have the probes wired using mini-xlr connectors or something so you can swap easily.

The only problem I see is the whole 220V vs 120V problem. For the heating element you would likely want to use a 220V setup and for the smoker/sous vide a 120V (unless you have a HUGE sous vide). In theory you could wire it to be switchable between the two voltages. I can diagram it if you are interested in it.

-Eric

Old 11-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
lonepalm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFaden View Post
They are basically all the same controller. You would have to retune the controller obviously and change the settings since I assume the probe you are using is different. But they are all using a PID controller.

For the big green egg I assume you are going to use the PID to throttle a fan... If you want to have multiple uses for it, I would build a box with the PID and SSR + Heatsink in it and then have the probes wired using mini-xlr connectors or something so you can swap easily.

The only problem I see is the whole 220V vs 120V problem. For the heating element you would likely want to use a 220V setup and for the smoker/sous vide a 120V (unless you have a HUGE sous vide). In theory you could wire it to be switchable between the two voltages. I can diagram it if you are interested in it.
He** Yeah, that would

This is a company that has the blowers but does make the control box as well.

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/5cfmAdapters.html

I was able to put my hands on something here at work, that has a few temp monitoring probes with it. Think it was made by Omega I'll get the detail on it when i head home after work. But i think there is an interface i can buy for it and it will act as a controller.

Last edited by lonepalm; 11-29-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: additions

Old 11-29-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
EFaden
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepalm View Post
He** Yeah, that would

This is a company that has the blowers but does make the control box as well.

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/5cfmAdapters.html

I was able to put my hands on something here at work, that has a few temp monitoring probes with it. Think it was made by Omega I'll get the detail on it when i head home after work. But i think there is an interface i can buy for it and it will act as a controller.
Best I could do at the moment is a Google Docs Drawing. Basically I would have a 220V 4 wire input to the box (Black, White (Dashed in Drawing), Red, and Green). You can make a "dongle" if you want it to also have a NEMA 5-20 or whatever you want (depending on current requirements etc). The dongle would just wire the (Black, White, and Green lines and leave the Red Disconnected). Then you SSR the black line and use the White line in the 120V output and the Red Line in the 240V output. This way if you plug the box into 240V 4 pin you can actually use either the 120V or the 220V output without needing any switching.

Does that make any sense?

If you want to know what the hell the NEMA plugs are http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ified_pins.svg
untitleddrawing.jpg  

-Eric

Quick Reply