Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > which control system

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #11
jcalisi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looking at the prices the new brewtroller will come in around $300 and the BCS-462 is around $350 so I think for me unless I find something that really changes my mind I'm going with the BCS. I just scored a Hoffman enclosure off ebay for $48 shipped so I'm on my way.

Now I just need to decide if I want to mount on the wall to control my fermenter's as well as the rig or just stick it on the rig.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I mounted mine to the wall to control 2 serving kegerators and a 3rd fermenter kegerator. I have all my stand wiring under my bottom shelf and it attaches to the BCS unit with a couple of Cat-5 cables.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sing...ed-rig-204705/
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hack...s-done-209388/
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/upri...1-kegs-371438/

Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
jcalisi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think I may follow suite but I will need a box for all of my ssr's since I'm all electric instead of gas.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default BCS Mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalisi View Post
Looking at the prices the new brewtroller will come in around $300 and the BCS-462 is around $350 so I think for me unless I find something that really changes my mind I'm going with the BCS. I just scored a Hoffman enclosure off ebay for $48 shipped so I'm on my way.

Now I just need to decide if I want to mount on the wall to control my fermenter's as well as the rig or just stick it on the rig.
At first I laid out my system with the idea of putting the BCS in the brewing control cabinet. Before starting construction I realized that I wanted the BCS to control both brewing and fermentation so I did some design work and am mounting the BCS in a smaller enclosure with 2 SSR's for heat and cool of the fermenter. I will connect the wall mounted BCS box to my brewing control cabinet with CAT5 wiring as my plans only need 8 wires between the BCS and the brewery. I can have the BCS wall mounted and connected to my home network permanently so that it can run the fermenter even with all power disconnected from the brewery.

If I put it all in one cabinet then I will need power full time in one enclosure even with a master stop for the brewery. I feel that it is safer to have the master stop shut off all power in the brewery, not leave the BCS and outlets for heat & cool energized.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
jcalisi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

More and more I like the idea. I'm assuming I should just go ahead and buy the 462 for future expansion.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #16
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Why does everyone assume they have to write code for the Brewtroller? The fact is that you don't. The guys over at the Brewtroller site have written the code and the support is phenomoninal. The BCS has been promising volume measurements forever and the Brewtroller has had it from the beginning. The Brewtroller will soon have a Web Interface also. If you are looking for flexibility and don't know jack about writing code, the Brewtroller is a very good choice.

Guy

Old 04-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #17
jcalisi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I guess for me its selling point of flexibility has cast a perception of writing code to make all of the pieces to work together. However, it sounds as if you really just need to populate an ini file with your parameters and it works from there. As for the web interface will it have its own web server or will it rely on a computer to supply that?

Quick Reply