Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Control Panel Weight - Mounting Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Control Panel Weight - Mounting Idea

For those of you that use the 16 x 16 x 8 control panel with the average array of components (2 SSRs, contactors, etc), how much would you guess it weights? I've been trying to solve the ever present "where do I mount my panel" question, as I can't attach it to the walls, don't want to attach it to my brew stand, and don't want to build something free-standing.

In the hopes of building something that would allow the panel to be easily accessible when I needed it, but well out of the way when I didn't, I designed my own ceiling mounted jib crane. I've attached a shotty drawing of what I want to build. It will be built out of 2" .120wall tubing and 9/16" bolts at the bushings. Depending on how much the panels might weigh, I will adjust the arm lengths so I'm not maxing out the torque load on the joints. I'm hoping to make the longer arm about 2' and the short arm 18-20".

This should allow me to mount the panel to the ceiling, swing it out of the way when not in use, but then have it with me wherever I need to be within the vicinity of the brewing area.

If I go through with the design I'll post some detailed information on the build.

Thoughts?
-Kevin

mount-solution.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
nhwrecker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I haven't weighed mine, but I'm guessing it's about 35 pounds. Mine's a kinda Kal clone, with most of the circuitry minus the digital power displays and a few other things. I'm currently using a Flat panel TV mount/articulated arm to hold it. The arm was rated for a 60-80# TV, and I have that temporarily mounted to a 2x4 bolted to the side of my stand. It's eventually getting mounted to a finished wall that's not up yet.

Here's a few pics, and you can see that the arm is having a bit of a hard time supporting the weight, even when not extended.

So, my factor of two was not enough on the arm - I'll be having to upgrade or beef it up in the future.

Good luck, and keep this thread going with updates - very interested in watching a custom arm being built!

mount_tip.jpg   panel_mount.jpg  

Damn Revv. Now I want a counterflow chiller and a Nigerian sex slave. Wonder which one the SWMBO will let me get first........

Borderline Brewing Co. Nashua, NH

Old 11-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 37

35# at 4' is 140ftlb of torque which should be well within the capabilities of a 9/16 grade 5 bolt.

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit (10 dumped)

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Belgian Wit (Failure)
Keg 3: American Pale Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Wit (Take 2)

Quick Reply