LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
friedpicklechips
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Control Panel Help

So, I've finally come up with a final (hopefully final) plan for my control panel. I based a lot of it on Kal's design, but I took some components out hoping to make things a bit simpler. I'm no electrician, though, and I need some help with the internal components and mayber a wiring diagram. I would like to run everything but the March pumps on 240V. The pumps that I have will only run on 110V. Any help would be appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]

3 x PID
1 x Timer
1 x Buzzer
3 x Push Button Switches
2 x Indicator Lights
1 x 3 Way Switch
4 x 3DPT Switches (Homedepot)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Have you considered using the SWA-2451 PIDs from Auber? They have an time built into them. Timers can be configured as count down so when the wort temp reaches your set point the timer starts. When the timer completes it cuts the heat and sounds the alarm.

Just a thought, then you could save some $ for the separate timer. These cost about $12 more than the SYL-2451's.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
friedpicklechips
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbeer
Have you considered using the SWA-2451 PIDs from Auber? They have an time built into them. Timers can be configured as count down so when the wort temp reaches your set point the timer starts. When the timer completes it cuts the heat and sounds the alarm.

Just a thought, then you could save some $ for the separate timer. These cost about $12 more than the SYL-2451's.
I'll look into them. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #4
bagpiperjosh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedpicklechips View Post
So, I've finally come up with a final (hopefully final) plan for my control panel. I based a lot of it on Kal's design, but I took some components out hoping to make things a bit simpler. I'm no electrician, though, and I need some help with the internal components and mayber a wiring diagram. I would like to run everything but the March pumps on 240V. The pumps that I have will only run on 110V. Any help would be appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]

3 x PID
1 x Timer
1 x Buzzer
3 x Push Button Switches
2 x Indicator Lights
1 x 3 Way Switch
4 x 3DPT Switches (Homedepot)
i like it!!

this is pretty much what i would like to build except with the built in timers. does anyone have a wiring diagram for something like this?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a question. I see 3 PIDs, but only two elements. Is your plan to use heat on all 3 vessels, or only two?

Old 02-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
friedpicklechips
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainSafe
I have a question. I see 3 PIDs, but only two elements. Is your plan to use heat on all 3 vessels, or only two?
There are three PIDs, but only two run heating elements. The third will monitor the mash temp while the wort re-circulates.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedpicklechips View Post
I based a lot of it on Kal's design, but I took some components out hoping to make things a bit simpler. I'm no electrician, though, and I need some help with the internal components and mayber a wiring diagram.
Your setup is extremely similar to mine. Very very close. From what I can tell the changes are:

- Combined the pump switches and lights into one.
- Combined the keyed power switch and light into one.
- Combined the alarm & light into one.
- Removed the timer reset button (you'll use the one on the timer).
- Removed the volt/amp meters.

These are extremely minor changes. mostly combining separate switches and lights into one unit. You should be able to use my wiring intructions anyway. No need for a new wiring diagram. Just use what I drew up and go from there with some subtle changes.

You still need a large enclosure and all the stuff inside would be the same minus the power supplies for the meters.

If you're not comfortable with the minor wiring changes then maybe consider just going with my design exactly. The money you're saving by combining some of these things is about $50 on a list of parts probably well over $1200-1400. There are less parts with yours but if you don't know how to wire it, that isn't really making things simpler for you is it? (I only state this because you said you removed parts to make things a bit simpler for you).

Quote:
I would like to run everything but the March pumps on 240V.
You can do that, but why? It will only make my existing instructions harder to follow.

Kal

Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
bagpiperjosh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
Your setup is extremely similar to mine. Very very close. From what I can tell the changes are:

- Combined the pump switches and lights into one.
- Combined the keyed power switch and light into one.
- Combined the alarm & light into one.
- Removed the timer reset button (you'll use the one on the timer).
- Removed the volt/amp meters.

These are extremely minor changes. mostly combining separate switches and lights into one unit. You should be able to use my wiring intructions anyway. No need for a new wiring diagram. Just use what I drew up and go from there with some subtle changes.

You still need a large enclosure and all the stuff inside would be the same minus the power supplies for the meters.

If you're not comfortable with the minor wiring changes then maybe consider just going with my design exactly. The money you're saving by combining some of these things is about $50 on a list of parts probably well over $1200-1400. There are less parts with yours but if you don't know how to wire it, that isn't really making things simpler for you is it? (I only state this because you said you removed parts to make things a bit simpler for you).

You can do that, but why? It will only make my existing instructions harder to follow.

Kal
Any reason why you didnt get the PIDS with the timers built in?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpiperjosh View Post
Any reason why you didnt get the PIDS with the timers built in?
I don't feel they'd be as easy to use for my brewing process.

Look at your own brewing process. Think of how you'll be pushing buttons and doing things throughout the process. See which is more convenient for you.

Kal

Old 02-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #10
bagpiperjosh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post
I don't feel they'd be as easy to use for my brewing process.

Look at your own brewing process. Think of how you'll be pushing buttons and doing things throughout the process. See which is more convenient for you.

Kal
fair enough

Quick Reply